Goodbye Cristina - Game Over.

You're right that it is not a normal situation. In fact, this wouldn't have been a crisis if Cristina hadn't been showing her arrogance at trying to control everything up to Macri's assumption of power itself (which she, as a president, had no right to determine - she's not the law, she's not the constitution and she had no business trying to control this).

However, I can see how Macri could easily change this in the future, create precedence and tranquility that follows the recent ruling by the judge on when the sitting president's mandate takes place.

When Macri hands over the reigns to the next president, he can work with that president elect to determine where that person would like to take the oath and receive his or her "objects of limited power" and then they can center the swearing of the oaths and passing of said objects on midnight. Maybe even the new guy can start the precedent of a midnight ball to celebrate his or her assumption of power.

Just takes some clear heads with the will to negotiate and compromise. I'd think such a precedent set in the next hand-over would be very hard to break as well, given that ruling on the ending of the president's power and the near-certain lack of desire for Argentinos to have some 12+ hours without a president.

Personally, I'd like a law - though not sure the legislature can "clarify" the intent of the Constitution in such a case - that would a) clarify that the transfer of power takes place upon taking the oath of office; b ) clarifying the details of the transfer (say, that it be at the Casa Rosada, or designating a rulebook that cannot be revised on the fly without some thought); c) stipulating that the details in B may be modified upon agreement of both the outgoing and incoming administrations.

That might fix what was the problem here, without resorting to creating strange and dubious legal situations.

Yeah, it should be clarified, but that may be asking too much. They ought to write another article clarifying something. But they now have a legal precedence on half the issue, and a procedural precedence on how to handle it, which isn't so tight and possible fraught with dangers. To get a big majority (what is it, two thirds? Three fourths? Can't remember) of the congress to change/add to the constitution (or maybe the provinces would take up their duty??) may be too much to ask for at this point.

Personally, I'd like a law - though not sure the legislature can "clarify" the intent of the Constitution in such a case - that would a) clarify that the transfer of power takes place upon taking the oath of office; b ) clarifying the details of the transfer (say, that it be at the Casa Rosada, or designating a rulebook that cannot be revised on the fly without some thought); c) stipulating that the details in B may be modified upon agreement of both the outgoing and incoming administrations.

That might fix what was the problem here, without resorting to creating strange and dubious legal situations.
I'm too lazy to look it up, but remember seeing somewhere (art 93?) that the law or constitution mandates an exact four-year term: not a minute longer or shorter than exactly four years. I think that was why the judge ruled that the mandate changes at 0000 hras. Otherwise, how could you get a precise demarcation? The actual swearing-in ceremony couldn't be counted on to the second.

If that's the case, then the law change should be that the four-year term expires on the last day, and not specify the exactness, with the handover occurring at the moment of swearing. Anyone else remember it that way?

hmmm. So last night around 12:30, was that Christina still in the presidential helicopter at the airport? if so, then will she pay the hefty bill for that transportation? I couldn't really see, but I did note that 12 had rolled by and the news was focused on her catching her plane.

ps... doesn't she have to go through airport security now like the rest of us?

hmmm. So last night around 12:30, was that Christina still in the presidential helicopter at the airport? if so, then will she pay the hefty bill for that transportation? I couldn't really see, but I did note that 12 had rolled by and the news was focused on her catching her plane.

ps... doesn't she have to go through airport security now like the rest of us?
She made a big deal of flying economy-class to Santa Cruz today. Wonder how many more times she'll fly in steerage? If I had her money, the answer would be: never!

She made a big deal of flying economy-class to Santa Cruz today. Wonder how many more times she'll fly in steerage? If I had her money, the answer would be: never!

Fly away lady Bird fly Home you house is on fire your children are gone.!

0013909218.jpg

Back