Got into a scuffle with three chorros at Starbucks- will they seek revenge?

I live in Palermo near Palermo Chico. They looked typical chorros, but not particularly dangerous since they didn’t stay to fight even though they outnumbered me. They were weirdly obedient when I screamed gtfo. But I feel like if I did the same thing to three punks from some El Salvadoran gang, their honor system would require killing me or beating me up at least.

I go to this Starbucks like 2x a day, never had anything like this happen.

I didn’t call the police. The employees at Starbucks just were gathered near me and stood in there in shock. I told a friend about it, who said I could be the one in trouble for getting violent when they just tried to steal my phone.

You sound like a strong guy. Do you have pepper spray? If not you might consider carrying one. I strated a thread a while ago about it and it sounds like that’s allowed to carry in Argentina, with some rules. I have a concealed weapon permit here in Texas, and because of the complications and heavy weight with firearms I carry pepper spray in my pocket instead. Pepper spray is lightweight, and a powerful tool and equalizer, can give a person a fighting chance against a bigger person, multiple people, knives, clubs, etc., and even probably some chance agains firearms, and without causing death. The main problem I see with using it is that it can cause the whole room/house to be irritative to breath in for a while, so if you sprayed it inside Starbucks or inside a subway train for example, others would feel the impact for a while and might need to evacuate the premise. It’s basically a chemical weapon of some kind.

I wouldn’t worry too much about revenge.
Would think it was just an opportunistic crime driven by the hunger and poverty that is the grim reality for almost half of all Argentines today. It’s probably not a lifestyle choice or some kind of “prestige” for them and they are probably much more scared of you/ being recognized by the staff/ embarrassed after that to even think of coming back to that area for a while.

Your concern about resisting robbery is a valid reminder - every day people do get hurt resisting, even if it’s “just” a punch in the face. Violent crimes in AMBA are also increasingly being perpetrated by minors.

Moral of the story, to minimize your chances of being a victim of these kinds of opportunistic crimes, always keep your phone / valuable out of sight when you’re not actively using it. Make it a habit. This is a very unequal society and that phone/ valuable probably costs more than many could earn in a year.

What interests me is how they planned to make use of the phone. Aren’t they password locked, and don’t many phones have a way to trace their location, and even ability to take snapshots from the camera if stolen if you have the right app installed? All my phones and tablets have some find my device feature.

Lol gotta love Fiscal. You probably shouldn't have fought back, but respect for doing it. You never know how you're going to react until it happens. Something similar happen to me once in the street and the guy backed down. I wasn't thinking just reacted in the moment. Not the smartest move.

If they didn't fight back in the moment I don't think they are going to come back to hunt you down. They probably saw an opportunity went for it and didn't expect your reaction.

I live in Palermo near Palermo Chico. They looked typical chorros, but not particularly dangerous since they didn’t stay to fight even though they outnumbered me. They were weirdly obedient when I screamed gtfo. But I feel like if I did the same thing to three punks from some El Salvadoran gang, their honor system would require killing me or beating me up at least.

I go to this Starbucks like 2x a day, never had anything like this happen.

I didn’t call the police. The employees at Starbucks just were gathered near me and stood in there in shock. I told a friend about it, who said I could be the one in trouble for getting violent when they just tried to steal my phone.

What do you mean with they looked typical chorros? How did you know the three punks where Salvadorian? Did you ask for their ID?

unfortunately the argentine justice system probably would punish you for fighting back against thieves. so good they just got a scare

Three teenagers came into Starbucks to “sell” stuff. One had a bunch of garbage bags in plastic wrap and came over to my table and put the bags over my phone. He kept trying to distract me from my phone and then finally left walking off with my phone. It wasn’t very subtle. I got up immediately and he tried to run so I grabbed his arm and threw him into table and then the floor, and took my phone. Then I screamed at his two friends in (in English because I was so mad) to get the f out.

In retrospect I realize I should have just let him take my phone and definitely not grabbed and physically shoved him hard because of all the stories of chorros shooting or knifing tourists, so I’m pretty lucky. But this was the Starbucks next to my apartment.

is there some chorro code now like in the US with gangbros so they will come back and look for me and try to f me up or shoot me?
unfortunately the argentine justice system probably would punish you for fighting back against thieves. so good they just got a scare

I think it´s actually the other way around. People got tired of this kind of scenes in the city. In some ares of Buenos Aires they undress the thiefs and beat the hell out of them: VECINOS DETUVIERON y DESNUDARON a LADRONES en PILAR - El Noti de la Gente - YouTube

What do you mean with they looked typical chorros? How did you know the three punks where Salvadorian? Did you ask for their ID?

Your reading comprehension is lacking. He said "if I did the same thing to three punks from some El Salvadoran gang" - "if" ...not that they were Salvadorian.

I think it´s actually the other way around. People got tired of this kind of scenes in the city. In some ares of Buenos Aires they undress the thiefs and beat the hell out of them: VECINOS DETUVIERON y DESNUDARON a LADRONES en PILAR - El Noti de la Gente - YouTube

I'm not a fan of lynchings, especially the ones where they kill the suspects, but given the fact the police are inept/lazy/slow/corrupt/indifferent here (especially in Provincia), and the fact the "justice system" is a joke, sometimes community justice, such as Fiscal fighting the chorros, or GBA neighbors lynching people that prey on pregnant women/women with kids is what's needed. I was saying to a friend the other week that if every cell phone thief was lynched and stripped naked it would likely be more effective than a short stint in prison.

Would I return to the same Starbucks? I'm not sure, you could run in to them again, but so could you at a different location, it's a game of chance, and most crimes are crimes of opportunity after all. That being said, I think what Fiscal's got going for him is the fact he fought back, most people, especially people that look like tourists don't, so maybe they'll know not to mess with him.

The main problem I see with using it is that it can cause the whole room/house to be irritative to breath in for a while, so if you sprayed it inside Starbucks or inside a subway train for example, others would feel the impact for a while and might need to evacuate the premise.

It's ok, I found just the product for Fiscal:

1637036871104.png

No doubt you did the right thing, but in the future you might want to call the police and with , hopefully, some witnesses tell the cops exactly what happened , if nothing else to cover your possible future legal consequences as they could easily claim you attacked them when they were trying to sell you garbage bags and by then you'll find yourself answering a bunch of questions as if you were the attacker instead of the victim..
Remember around these parts, you are the imperialist Yankee and they are the poor displaced locals trying to earn a humble living when for no reason you attacked them.
As far as them coming back, i think they'll move on to easier targets but you never can tell ,
I wouldn't worry about what they might do to you if they come back, i would worry about what you will do to them if they do.......
Well done pilgrim.

Back