Got married! Now how to get citizenship?

El_fuego

Registered
Married my love in the Catholic Church a few months ago and finally got it done in the governments eyes there with the lovely ladies at the registro civil. Can somebody point me in the direction of where to go now to finally start getting legal here?

Congratulations on your marriage! I hope you will be very happy together

I have no personal experience to offer here but after a little rooting around on this site there seem to be several threads and conversations which might be of use to you. I've homed in on this one - Citizenship Through Marriage started by @shawnjames on September 8 2015 - and in particular Post No.10 by @nicoenarg which seems to sum everything up concisely. It's nine years old and some of the other posters including the OP seem a little screwball and I don't know if everything still applies today but Post No.10 seems sound.

I'd suggest you spend a little time searching for other posts on the subject in other threads here on this site. Search terms like marriage citizenship should get you off to a good start. Reading more recent messages will help you confirm the way to go. Good luck and congratulations again!

P.S. All the Church-married couples I know in Argentina, including some married very recently, went through their civil marriage first and then went on to their wedding in Church. I assumed that people needed to get a civil marriage certificate before they could be married in Church - isn't this the case?

Congratulations on your marriage! I hope you will be very happy together

I have no personal experience to offer here but after a little rooting around on this site there seem to be several threads and conversations which might be of use to you. I've homed in on this one - Citizenship Through Marriage started by @shawnjames on September 8 2015 - and in particular Post No.10 by @nicoenarg which seems to sum everything up concisely. It's nine years old and some of the other posters including the OP seem a little screwball and I don't know if everything still applies today but Post No.10 seems sound.

I'd suggest you spend a little time searching for other posts on the subject in other threads here on this site. Search terms like marriage citizenship should get you off to a good start. Reading more recent messages will help you confirm the way to go. Good luck and congratulations again!

P.S. All the Church-married couples I know in Argentina, including some married very recently, went through their civil marriage first and then went on to their wedding in Church. I assumed that people needed to get a civil marriage certificate before they could be married in Church - isn't this the case?
Thanks for pointing me where to go!

Our church waived this supposed requirement of civil marriage first, upon informing them that we couldn't get a turno taken out before our wedding date in the church

@El_fuego Congratulations on your marriage!

If you intend to process your permanent residency and citizenship in Buenos Aires, you can follow my summary below:

Permanent residency and citizenship are processed in two separate government entities. They have nothing to do with one another. Required documents are slightly different.

Permanent residency = Migraciones (Immigration)
Citizenship = Juzgado (Court)

For Permanent residency.
If you married an Argentine, you can start your permanent residency process right away in the link below.

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/servicio/radicaciones-residencia-permanente

If you're not fluent in Spanish, it is better to have your Argentine spouse do all the process for you. The website tells you what documents you need to bring etc etc.

For Citizenship.
Marrying an Argentine also allows you to start the process of acquiring Argentine citizenship as well. The 2-year period is waived. The first thing you need to do is send an email to [email protected]

In the email, include your name, family name and DNI (in case you already have one, if not, your passport number). Also, indicate in your email that you have just married an Argentine national and now you wish to start the citizenship process. In a couple of days, they will email you back with an application form that you need to print out and fill out, and inform you about your turno (your appointment with date, time and location where you need to go to submit your documents) and what documents to bring. Mine turno was about one month away from when they emailed me back.

I hope this summary helps simplify the process for you.

Argentina has a global tax system. They can tax your bank account, property and income from other countries.
You have to have an accountant. What I have heard they are more likely to leave you alone, if you are a resident.
I would avoid lawyers.

Back