Is there some way to tell how much more expensive BA is getting/has gotten

oddDistribution

Registered
Apparently there has been a significant amount of inflation in dollar terms. If you don't live there, is there some way to monitor the trend of prices to get a sense of the change in overall cost of living? I don't think numbeo would work for this purpose.

I propose the BAExpats Price Index (BAPI). The price of a basket of goods commonly purchased by the average BA Expat, converted to US Dollars. What kinds of things should be included in the basket? Here are some ideas to get us started:

* 1 bottle Fernet Branca
* 2 bottles of Coca Cola
* Taragüi Yerba Mate - 1 package
* 2 Choripans from Costanera
* 12 empanadas from El Sanjuanino
* 8 bus fares from Conurbano to Palermo for Coffee Chat
* 3 slices of Fugazzeta from Kentucky

What else?

I remember that at some point, people considered the price of Ugi's Pizza's mozzarella as a basis for an index.

I propose the BAExpats Price Index (BAPI). The price of a basket of goods commonly purchased by the average BA Expat, converted to US Dollars. What kinds of things should be included in the basket? Here are some ideas to get us started:

* 1 bottle Fernet Branca
* 2 bottles of Coca Cola
* Taragüi Yerba Mate - 1 package
* 2 Choripans from Costanera
* 12 empanadas from El Sanjuanino
* 8 bus fares from Conurbano to Palermo for Coffee Chat
* 3 slices of Fugazzeta from Kentucky

What else?
What are you going to compare your basket of goods with? It needs to include wine, too 😃.

The Economist’s Big Mac index is used to compare currencies, it’s showing the Argentinian Peso to be 32.6% undervalued, which might be a surprise. If it reached its “real” value things here would be that much more expensive.

This page https://www.statista.com/statistics/869118/big-mac-price-index-argentina/ shows how the price of a Big Mac has evolved here, it certainly seems more expensive now.

Apparently there has been a significant amount of inflation in dollar terms. If you don't live there, is there some way to monitor the trend of prices to get a sense of the change in overall cost of living? I don't think numbeo would work for this purpose.
There has been, and I personally recommend something like MercadoTrack which tells you if a "Sale" (especially Hot Sales/Cyber Monday Sale) are really a sale or just a regression to baseline. Only downside is you have to pick your own basket of goods, but I'll use a couple things I frequently buy to give you an idea:

(Note, the dollar axis' table appears to be broken on their website, so, to tell if an item is experiencing inflation in dollars, the shaded cyan peso price will be higher than the thin green line dollar blue price, i.e. Cat Food in Mar/Apr 2023, and December to Present)

7.5KG of Cat Food:

grafico_articulo_MLA911284463_mercadotrack.png

8KG of Cat Litter:

grafico_articulo_MLA1108742628_mercadotrack.png

Skip Laundry Detergent:

grafico_articulo_MLA1108742628_mercadotrack.png

Anyways, you get the idea, all prices exceeding the rise in the BLUE dollar (forget the BCRA dollar) meaning these items have experienced inflation, si o si, in both currencies.

From Dec.1, 2023 to Feb 1. 2024
Inflation: up 44%
Dollar blue: up 33%

According to my very primitive math skills, I'm about 11% poorer now.
And the blue is still sinking.....!
Let's be honest;

Inflation is more than 44%, we have seen on many cases prices double.
It would be naieve to think that these "scores" are not manipulated.

Back