Gotenna Opinion?

Roxana

Registered
Hi, I read about goTenna and want to know your inputs:

"Create your own off-grid network in under a minute with goTenna.

When there's no cell coverage or wifi, activate goTenna by pulling the antenna out, then wirelessly pair to your iOS or Android device via Bluetooth-LE. Set up your account in seconds—now you're ready to type out texts or share a location using goTenna's free offline maps.

goTenna is a cognitive digital radio combined with an app that generates its own signal and automatically coordinates with other units within range. It does all the heavy-lifting, so you can chat 1-to-1, with a group, or even broadcast openly to anyone nearby."

Hi, I read about goTenna and want to know your inputs:

"Create your own off-grid network in under a minute with goTenna.

When there's no cell coverage or wifi, activate goTenna by pulling the antenna out, then wirelessly pair to your iOS or Android device via Bluetooth-LE. Set up your account in seconds—now you're ready to type out texts or share a location using goTenna's free offline maps.

goTenna is a cognitive digital radio combined with an app that generates its own signal and automatically coordinates with other units within range. It does all the heavy-lifting, so you can chat 1-to-1, with a group, or even broadcast openly to anyone nearby."

This broadcasts over 151 – 154 MHz and is end to end only? Seems a bit poor and you're relying on the signal making it to the person you want.

A bluetooth satellite adapter is probably much safer/better, if you want to chat to local people there are hundreds of apps that do this but they are useless unless there are lots and lots of people using them.

I'm not 100% sure but i think it was Firechat that was used extensively by locals in Iraq etc when the internet went down.

I used firechat in the past, and didnt understand the technical details, thanks for your explanation, ejcot.

Is this a zombie apocalypse plan? I really can't see why you'd need this in Buenos Aires where you have good cell coverage and can you'd whatsapp and skype and millions of other options to send messages.

If this is about security, end to end encryption is so good these days that even corporations that used to have policies about certain data only going on intranet lines are using vpns.

I didnt say I need it in Buenos Aires, this is the forum "Travellers Stories"

Didn't see that it was in the traveler forum. I have an iridium phone that I use with charge with prepaid cards if I'm going on a trip where I won't have cell service for a long time. I've tested it from Torres del Paine to Sajama and quite a few places in between. service is ok. You don't always get a connection right away but it'll eventually pick up a signal. My phones fairly old and the battery isn't what it once was but the new ones are supposedly better.

Didn't see that it was in the traveler forum. I have an iridium phone that I use with charge with prepaid cards if I'm going on a trip where I won't have cell service for a long time. I've tested it from Torres del Paine to Sajama and quite a few places in between. service is ok. You don't always get a connection right away but it'll eventually pick up a signal. My phones fairly old and the battery isn't what it once was but the new ones are supposedly better.
Wow, it is so interesting! thanks!

Back