Gps

Jade Onerway

Registered
Does anyone have a certain GPS that works in both North America and South America? I have the GPS app in my phone but I do not trust my company to have internet signal while on the road there in Argentina and Uruguay. The rent-a-car company offers a GPS but by the time I pay the fee I could own one. Thanks for any tips.

Just FYI: GPS doesn't require a data connection. If you can load the maps onto your phone (Google Maps can do it for certain locations, e.g., the city of B.A.; other applications use data from e.g., openstreetmap) you can use the phone as a GPS even when disconnected. If you just use it as a map/for in case you get lost, I found a smartphone sufficient.

And in case you still want a GPS, my Garmin was about a hundred bucks three years ago, and additional maps can be purchased from Garmin, or can be had very cheap (read: free), if you're tech savvy.

I love GPS but I have to say that Google maps doesn't cut it for me. Many times it has programmed an out of the way route that has cost me time and miles. Has never happened with a dedicated GPS device...you get what you pay for?

Does anyone have a certain GPS that works in both North America and South America? I have the GPS app in my phone but I do not trust my company to have internet signal while on the road there in Argentina and Uruguay. The rent-a-car company offers a GPS but by the time I pay the fee I could own one. Thanks for any tips.

I have used one bought in the US, but by the time I paid for the South American maps there were little or no savings (I don't know wineguy's sneaky friends). Later, I just bought a local one and overall spent about the same money.

Thorsten's right - using a GPS has nothing at all to do with Internet or cellular service. it directly accesses navigational satellites.

I am a big fan of here.com. It used to be Nokia map service, but it was sold recently to a group of automakers. They allow to download maps for different countries for offline use for free.

I believe Google has this functionality as well nowadays, but Nokia provided this service for ages.

Thorsten's right - using a GPS has nothing at all to do with Internet or cellular service.

Well, this is an overstatement. You do not really need internet to use GPS, but it does use the internet to download satellite positions etc.

I use an app called Galileo. Not the best maps but I a;ways know where I am.

Just FYI: GPS doesn't require a data connection. If you can load the maps onto your phone (Google Maps can do it for certain locations, e.g., the city of B.A.; other applications use data from e.g., openstreetmap) you can use the phone as a GPS even when disconnected. If you just use it as a map/for in case you get lost, I found a smartphone sufficient.
Can you download map of the City of Buenos Aires in Google maps? Please tell how.

T/

I'm selling my TomTom GPS with US, Argentina and Uruguay maps for $700 pesos if you're interested.

Back