Want To Plug Gps Into Electrical Outlet -

splaying

Registered
While in Chile I purchased a GPS at the airport. Perhaps had I had the time to go to Santiago I could have purchased it for a lower price. Also the one I purchased had no maps installed. Someone in Talca helped me with that installation. It created a new friendship. I need a cord to attach to the GPS to plug into an electrical outlet. I purchased one in Talca but failed to test it there as the end of the wire to connect to the GPS is not correct yet the other end goes into an electrical plug which is a separate unit. By doing this I can use the GPS while in BA for navigation without a car. I realize if you have cell phones you can do the same thing but that is another question to ask the forum. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thank You. Walter

If your GPS came with an USB cable, and you have a smartphone, its charger will probably work just fine, not 100% sure, but it probably will.

You may try the big electronics plaza on Calle Florida. I do not remember the name. But they seem to have everything electronic.

1. I do not have a smart phone. The USB cable with the GPS has the device on its end to plug into a cigarette lighter. What I want on the end of the cable is an electrical plug so I can plug it in the apartment as I now do not have a car but could use the device for walking etc either in BA or elsewhere too. 2. The Electronics store -- approximately what cross street with Calle Florida? Many thanks

Perhaps you can find a car to wall adapter instead... finding a (phone) cable that fits your gps to plug into the wall may be difficult, as I'm not sure they're all standard and finding a particular cable for a brand can prove to be a challege. There are a lot of propriety cables out there, so you have to be careful when buying.
6190a5fb-21e7-476a-8a4e-e7df6f3f194a_320.jpg

Your other, and better, option is If your GPS has a USB cable (which it should have come with) then finding a USB wall charger should be easier. A lot of phones / devices come with these.

usbwallcharger.jpg

Most devices will use either a type A to mini-B to USB data transfer cable ("mini-USB cable") or a type A to micro-B to USB data transfer cable ("micro-USB cable"). To have the other end either plug into a computer or wall electric socket. Many phones use this same connector (not just smartphones), so a friend or hotel front desk probably has these to borrow.

http://en.wikipedia...._connectors.JPG

While in Chile I bought the second of the two items shown in last posting. However the USB cable did not fit my GPS device. My mistake. That particular product in Chile was 2500 Chilean Pesos. The GPS I purchased at the airport was $130 USD plus it contained no MAPS. what a way to begin my drive in that country. I appreciate the advice.

How did they load the maps onto your GPS without a USB cable that fits? Your GPS should have come with a USB cable.

I found a person in Talca who had all the gear -- he directed me to get the device to plug to the wall but that cable the end which fits into the gps is of the wrong size -- therefore I need a proper cable.. that product did have a plug to the wall so really all I need is the cable itself or as pointed out above another plug which accepts the cigarette plug .. I appreciate all of your assistance in this matter and hope today to find what I am needing here.

Back