Gps

Can you download map of the City of Buenos Aires in Google maps? Please tell how.

T/

For Android phones, you can find it in the menu under "Offline Areas". Just click the plus sign and add the area you are interested in - and wait until it's downloaded (CABA is around 132MB).

Well, this is an overstatement. You do not really need internet to use GPS, but it does use the internet to download satellite positions etc.

Your GPS device (Tomtom, Garmim, etc.) does not use or need Internet for satellite positions or data. They have internal receivers that directly download position information from the navigational satellites' transmitters. You may be confusing their normal operations with the need to connect to their vendor Internet sites via computer to load new maps and operating system updates.

From TomTom:

"Once everything has been ‘started up’, the GPS module in your device calculates where you are from the satellite signals it receives. The satellites constantly send out signals and the module picks up those that are nearest to it.

As you know, the GPS module works out its position by calculating its distance from at least four different satellites. But while your TomTom device may know its distance from these satellites, it still doesn’t know exactly where you are until it also knows where the satellites are positioned. Even then it’s not straightforward, as each satellite is constantly moving in orbit around the earth.

This last problem is solved by the fact that the GPS signal the satellites send out contains so-called ‘almanac’ information. Information about such things as the altitude of the satellite, which satellite it is, its position in relation to the other satellites, and so forth. Using this information, your GPS module can translate these signals into co-ordinates, which it then sends on to the navigation application."

Were you an elementary school teacher in your last life?

Your GPS device (Tomtom, Garmim, etc.) does not use or need Internet for satellite positions or data. They have internal receivers that directly download position information from the navigational satellites' transmitters. You may be confusing their normal operations with the need to connect to their vendor Internet sites via computer to load new maps and operating system updates.

You don't know what my GPS device is :). But, basically, if you are interested check standalone vs assisted GPS. I agree with what you are saying, but connected cell phones, for example, download almanac information from the internet. You just don't notice it unless the process is broken.

Can you download map of the City of Buenos Aires in Google maps? Please tell how.

T/

You can just zoom to a place in Google Maps and type "ok maps" in the search bar. You'll be given option to resize the area (Google won't save it if it is too big) and save the map for offline use.

You certainly should check, how good your GPS on the phone works (also without data connection). I have two same models phones and one works perfectly, the other rarely and never when I really need. Tried everything and simply can't manage nothing... If it works good, you just need Internet connection every day once to update positions and then it should work.

I use "status gps" app to check it and "view ranger GPS" for maps. But I never use directions on the road, just need it for position and trekking.

If your phone's gps doesn't work perfectly, it's really better to have real one.

You don't know what my GPS device is :). But, basically, if you are interested check standalone vs assisted GPS. I agree with what you are saying, but connected cell phones, for example, download almanac information from the internet. You just don't notice it unless the process is broken.

You are correct re non-dedicated GPS devices.

I'm selling my TomTom GPS with US, Argentina and Uruguay maps for $700 pesos if you're interested.
I am not arriving until morning of April 9th, staying in apt in Recoleta for just weekend then off to Uruguay. Tight schedule to try and meet, no? Why are you selling it? Any bargaining? heh, I live in Mexico, had to ask...

I love GPS but I have to say that Google maps doesn't cut it for me. Many times it has programmed an out of the way route that has cost me time and miles. Has never happened with a dedicated GPS device...you get what you pay for?
Exactly why I wanted a GPS device. Same has happened to me traveling and don't want to go through that again.

Back