Graffiti tour

Sockhopper said:
The Graffiti Mundo Tour is awesome. I took it last year. It is urban art for which permission to paint someone's property has been obtained in each instance and even commissioned and paid for by the property owner in many. This tour does not consist of any illegal tagging although you'll spot that on rubbish bins on streets WHILE you're examining the beautiful street art that the tour is describing.
Then these are two completely different things. If public art is commissioned and or done with permission, I would not call that graffiti --- we need another term. If however so-called "artists" are illegally painting on public or private property then I would call it graffiti and disparage it regardless of its artistic merit.

surfing said:
Then these are two completely different things. If public art is commissioned and or done with permission, I would not call that graffiti --- we need another term. If however so-called "artists" are illegally painting on public or private property then I would call it graffiti and disparage it regardless of its artistic merit.

I think the term is mural, "any piece of artwork painted or applied directly on a wall"

graffiti is "sprayed illicitly on a wall"

graffiti does not conger up art to me, just garbage

garygrunson said:
I think the term is mural, "any piece of artwork painted or applied directly on a wall"

graffiti is "sprayed illicitly on a wall"

graffiti does not conger up art to me, just garbage

Really? You've heard of Banksy etc? That 'sprayed illicitily' usually on walls, it's kinda the point.

I haven't done and hard study of Argentinas past/political culture but I would point in the direction of newly won democracy and free expression of peoples views people have now(whether it's crap or not) and that this is one medium for a lot of people. And come to think of it I do recall reading about people being shot during the dictatorship while 'graffiting' anti-government slogans, so for political slogans I would say there's a culture of; crap or not.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/banksy_clipstone_crop.jpg

Panini said:
Really? You've heard of Banksy etc? That 'sprayed illicitily' usually on walls, it's kinda the point.

I haven't done and hard study of Argentinas past/political culture but I would point in the direction of newly won democracy and free expression of peoples views people have now(whether it's crap or not) and that this is one medium for a lot of people. And come to think of it I do recall reading about people being shot during the dictatorship while 'graffiting' anti-government slogans, so for political slogans I would say there's a culture of; crap or not.

Yup know of Banksy's work.

And also the "newly won" democracy.

Here's the thing though. Democracy or any other form of freedom (or pseudo-freedom) does not warrant the destruction or vandalism (in any shape or form, whether severe or not) of someone else's property. Freedom does not mean trampling over others' rights.

Some would argue that then the public places should be fair game for graffiti-ists (they aren't artists). However, my argument is that even public places are property of the public (DUH!). If you're talking about democracy, then if the majority of that public is alright with graffiti on public buildings...then well, go right ahead. And on that note, it seems like not a lot of people in Argentina have problems with graffiti.

Again though, private property, i.e., residential and commercial buildings should be off limit, no matter how free a given soceity think they are and no matter how hard won their freedom was.

If to you democracy means that people should be allowed to run wild, trampling others' rights and property in the process, then I would say you are an advocate of ocholocracy and not democracy.

Panini said:

Great example: Banksy is a vandal. His talent is something else. And the graffiti in Buenos Aires is not a result of "newly won democracy".

Poor guy just wants to go on a tour.

As with most things in life, it's extremely limited to view it as a black and white situation. Illegal/uncommissioned doesn't make it ugly/worthless - there's a lot out there that is brilliant and certainly doesn't deserve to be relegated to being graffiti as opposed to street art and vice verce.

I agree it doesn't really belong on private residential property but there are a LOT of private commercial properties that it actually enhances.

PureVPN is what I am using now to bypass the restrictions that Hulu has in place for streaming outside of the US. I am also using it to bypass Telecentro's throttling of bandwith when I try to download torrents from the PB.

Newsjunkie said:
PureVPN is what I am using now to bypass the restrictions that Hulu has in place for streaming outside of the US. I am also using it to bypass Telecentro's throttling of bandwith when I try to download torrents from the PB.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.... :confused: Does that tune out ugly graffiti?

Back