Great Story- Steve what do you say?

This is a great story. However, it is a highly unique story and not typical of life in Argentina. I suspect there is more to this story than what is included in the article.

From my own experience in Buenos Aires I have been lied to, cheated, scammed, deceived, seduced (this is a skill), etc. by all of the professionals that I have ever known from lawyers, realtors, notaries, taxi drivers, waiters in restaurants, maids, etc. etc. etc. I am sure there are good people in Buenos Aires........just be sure that they believe that you are broke!

If you think that this is only my experience almost everybody that I have met and known has had similar experiences. Including locals and foreigners.

It must be the water. :)

If Carolina is stating the rule, then I must be the exception.

I have been lied to once, when the daughter of our portero said, "Oh no, you don't look old at all."

I have been cheated a couple of times at a flower kiosk down the street, but once I realized I as being charged a couple of pesos extra, I stopped buying flowers there and go to one on the other corner. Otherwise, if I am being cheated anywhere else, they are too good at it for me to know.

Scammed? Nope.

Deceived? Is that different from being lied to? But I suppose I haven't been deceived.

Seduced? Only in my most pleasant fantasies.

So what Carolina supposes is true of everyone, must be, because I am the exception to prove it.

I do wonder if being lied to, taken advantage of, deceived, scammed, and seduced is unique to Buenos Aires in Carolina's experience? Never happened anywhere else? Or maybe never been anywhere else? If this happens everywhere, one wonders if Carolina has a black cloud following her around. If it only happens in Buenos Aires, then we have proof that portenos are some really nasty folks.

This was a lovely story.

Funnily enough, i wasn't that suprised. It sounded suprisingly typical. In a year of being here several of my friends have left things in taxis - wallets, phones, bags and in one case a brand new laptop. All of them were reunited with their lost property after the taxi drivers went out of their way to return it to them.

In the last case my friend had got a cab back to her flat late at night, and forgotten she'd taken her laptop with her. When she realised she immediately went to the police to report it stolen, but when she got back to her flat at 3am she found the taxi driver waiting outside her flat for her, having found the laptop in his cab. He'd driven straight back and just waited outside her flat. Wouldn't even take a tip, just said he wanted his daughter to grow up in a world where people had values.

I'm sure plenty of people have a miserable time here, but can't help wondering why it is that some people feel they are always being scammed and deceived, yet others find strangers going out of their way to help them...

What's an argentinian without arms, legs and brain?........ A trustworthy person:D

HDM said:
If Carolina is stating the rule, then I must be the exception.

I have been lied to once, when the daughter of our portero said, "Oh no, you don't look old at all."

I have been cheated a couple of times at a flower kiosk down the street, but once I realized I as being charged a couple of pesos extra, I stopped buying flowers there and go to one on the other corner. Otherwise, if I am being cheated anywhere else, they are too good at it for me to know.

Scammed? Nope.

Deceived? Is that different from being lied to? But I suppose I haven't been deceived.

Seduced? Only in my most pleasant fantasies.

So what Carolina supposes is true of everyone, must be, because I am the exception to prove it.

I do wonder if being lied to, taken advantage of, deceived, scammed, and seduced is unique to Buenos Aires in Carolina's experience? Never happened anywhere else? Or maybe never been anywhere else? If this happens everywhere, one wonders if Carolina has a black cloud following her around. If it only happens in Buenos Aires, then we have proof that portenos are some really nasty folks.

Boy have you had DUMB luck!

Many people are foolish and brazen enough to think that if something hasn't happened to them then it just really does not exist.

I forgot to mention an incident when I was trampled on at a shopping mall and no one bothered to help me up including the person who fell on me.. No, I don't think that everyone is so great in Buenos Aires.

I have lived on four different continents. Is that good enough?

Don't you know that the word seduced does not necessarily have to be sexual?? I think in another post you stated that you don't speak Spanish that well. Well, that might be part of your luck! Check out the word 'vivenza criolla' ..... that is what I mean by seduced and even if you don't "get it" it is all over Buenos Aires.

I think that crime happens all over the world. Buenos Aires is not unique in that regard. But, I think that crime is growing at a rapid rate in Buenos Aires and Argentina in general. Don't you remember the protest against the rising crime this past March or were you watching soap operas?

And, yes. I have had many good experiences. I love Buenos Aires in many ways. But, it is not a blind love.

I like the DUMB in all caps, Carolina. But I must say, you come off here as quite a nasty person, especially sarcastic and notably holier than thou. I think it best if I simply stay away from your posts. We are having different experiences here. Mine are mostly positive and I am having a fine time living here. I am sorry that you aren't. But that's not my fault, so don't take your problems out on me. I have lived outside the USA for more than 25 years, including in South Africa, Austria, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Singapore, and Italy. I have had the same living experiences in all those places, which leads me to believe, as previously stated by others, that you get back what you send out. If you were less judgmental and way less paranoid, you might enjoy your life here too. I wish that for you. But I can't make it happen. Good luck, and pardon me for staying out of your path. Life is too short for this kind of negativity.

HDM said:
I like the DUMB in all caps, Carolina. But I must say, you come off here as quite a nasty person, especially sarcastic and notably holier than thou. I think it best if I simply stay away from your posts. We are having different experiences here. Mine are mostly positive and I am having a fine time living here. I am sorry that you aren't. But that's not my fault, so don't take your problems out on me. I have lived outside the USA for more than 25 years, including in South Africa, Austria, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Singapore, and Italy. I have had the same living experiences in all those places, which leads me to believe, as previously stated by others, that you get back what you send out. If you were less judgmental and way less paranoid, you might enjoy your life here too. I wish that for you. But I can't make it happen. Good luck, and pardon me for staying out of your path. Life is too short for this kind of negativity.

Holier than thou? I doubt it.

Judgmental? Not overly so. Although I do think that people with REAL MONEY don't flaunt it in a city such as Buenos Aires. On the contrary, they play it down. And, of course, people with CLASS never feel the need to make themselves appear superior anyway.

Yes, I think that you should stay away from my posts. I am going to put you on delete. But, you cannot do the same. I remember a differenet thread where you kept on saying that you were not going to post but you couldn't stay away. It is just in your obsessive character.

Chau

Good. We have reached an understanding of our significant differences living in this city.

Are you like that guy who keeps trying to start fights by making claims that people should not post or telling other people when they have posted too much or not enough or deciding that you know what people mean? Now I get it. If you actually looked at the one thread where that guy kept trying to get a fight started, I think you will see that I did lose interest and did stop posting on that thread. If you maintain otherwise, you are making it up out of nothing. And that would not surprise me.

I will read continue to relish reading your posts, because you are a real piece of work, but I just don't think it worth much effort responding to you.

Although you will, like your self-righteous compatriot, you will shout out that this is a response... see? You are responding... see? Told you so ... nah, nah, nah, nah, nah. Told you so ... see?

Jesus X. Christ. Just move and stop claiming that Portenos are all out to cheat and seduce you.

Back