Greatest Hits: Ba Expat Characters And Incidents

Forum member got ripped off by a Mother/Daughter scam, believe it was an apartment security deposit, happened around 2009. Forum members decided to take action. The group ganged up on the scammers and posted every detail of their lives, financial information, addresses, cars driven, APA info, DNI stuff. Could not believe the dirt the group gathered on these people or how it was obtained. All I know the lady regretted the day she screwed a member. Quite sure it was picked up by some travel sites, know it was on trip advisor. Impressed me.
Scammers are lowest of lows... Love it when internet detectives fight back

Scammers are lowest of lows... Love it when internet detectives fight back

I'm a relative newcomer so I just read the threads for the first time - and confess that I wasted a perfectly good hour following the fascinating story of the Inquilina del Infierno. I'm really glad I got out of the landlord business some time back, and this tale reminded me why it should stay that way.

For my time here, nothing beats the saga of Michael S. (or S for his second account) Smith. One of several bizarre bits was when he said that the US Embassy wouldn't give him money, in spite of the fact that he's a US citizen! (Imagine the lines if he'd been successful!) Rereading the thread it seems amazing that he only posted for a month. It certainly seemed a lot longer.

A couple of posters were moved by his story and said they'd help him. Be very interesting to know how that turned out. Don't recall seeing any followup to that. I won't name names, but do you guys care to comment? (Or if you already did, and I just missed it, a link?)

Old thread, but pretty good. Seems like this forum has really slowed down over the years (or maybe the city has). I think if I ever met SteveinBA, I'd struggle not to call him "the hermit of the Pampas" lol.

Old thread, but pretty good. Seems like this forum has really slowed down over the years (or maybe the city has). I think if I ever met SteveinBA, I'd struggle not to call him "the hermit of the Pampas" lol.
Based on the fact that steveinbsas (not the same person as SteveinBA), as of June 25th, 2020, will have slept under the same roof (at his "semi-rural" house, about 2 KM from the Atlantic coast) every night for the past ten years, you would not have to struggle very much not to call me "the hermit of the pampas..

In spite of the glaring geographical error made by a former Fulbright Scholar with a PhD in geography from UC Berkeley who coined the expression,, that's how I occasionally refer to myself when talking with a local I've just met for the first time.

PS: I imagine that, after looking at a map of of South America. one could assert that the entire Provincia Bs. As. is part of the pampas, but no Argentines I know refer to this area using that term.

Last edited:

It really has. Maybe everyone is in Lisbon or the next next Expat Hotspot. I appreciate the re-read and it reminded me of some great BA Expat contributors/characters I’d forgotten.

Even Hitler has something to say about those darn crazy BAexpats...
hilarious,,!!!! And Happy New Year to all !!!!

Last edited:
I enjoyed the thread about the "Stenoblauch Synedrome" which, unfortunately, (depending on your point of view), resulted in the "fatality" of one forum member.

There was a interesting thread by a expat who stated that he was robbed in Epuyen Chubut and he mentioned that the police and even his own wirfe were in on the scam . I believe he name was nobody special .Steve do you remember this one ?

There was a interesting thread by a expat who stated that he was robbed in Epuyen Chubut and he mentioned that the police and even his own wirfe were in on the scam . I believe he name was nobody special .Steve do you remember this one ?
Yes. Since then he changed his username to jbhenson,

Back