Green escapism: where to hear the birds sing?

header

Registered
A little niche question (bigger picture in previous topic 'Is it all that bad...'). In considering a four year adventure abroad the natural surroundings put in a lot of weight. I'm a sucker for nature, the real stuff. It doesn't have to be the Amazon or The Andes. It's all good when it's:

- within an hour drive from my home
- not cultivated (many people, buildings etc.)
- a bit wild & original, preferably a bit dynamic as well (trees, hidden corners, variety, surprises....)
- more that one square k, but not necessarily much more.

First off I thought Argentina would be jackpot. Of course it is, but is BA as well? The direct coastline seems a bit depressing. I've checked many videos on Tigre and it's all boats and houses. Then there's 500 k of pampa in all other directions. A certain charm there, for sure, but not very dynamic.

I realize it's difficult to get the picture straight from my current position. There must be at least some places for green escapism that fit the criteria right? Please, if you will, enlighten me on this most important matter!

Tigre is what you say it is and more. It consists of 3 sections with the third being the Unesco registered Tigre Biosphere. There are many tours going into the delta, we provide one of them by sailboat and they are customised to your needs . You could go by sailboat with us ,kayak with others or ferry.
Starting with the second section you can find peace and quiet and nature without people but you need transport of some kind. A lot of the land is private so you can only land at designated piers where there is public restaurants,generally speaking.
It depends really on budget, time restrictions etc. as to how you will see the Tigre delta.

You also have the reserva ecologica near Puerto Madero,at a guestimate about 350 hectares of Pampa landscape, with a great variety of birds reached easily by city public transport.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserva_Ecol%C3%B3gica_de_Buenos_Aires

There is a smaller ecological reserve of let´s say 50 hectares in San Isidro outside city limits. I have not been there but here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92s8AnzVo4c

Hope this helps.

We spent a few days at Los Esteros del Ibera in central Corrientes last week, its amazingly beautiful and very isolated. A 5 hour drive from Corrientes Capital or Posadas. We saw few tourists, but tons of birds, alligators, capybara, and lizards plus a few monkeys. http://www.coloniapellegrini.gov.ar/ I wanted to go soon becuase I fear the hydroelectric projects on the Parana, deforestation across the north, and increasingly intense agricultural use of the land will all combine to damage the swamps, which are 50% bigger than the Everglades.

Yeah I agree the countryside surrounding Buenos Aires is pretty disappointing/ underwhelming.. that's one of the biggest downsides for me for Buenos Aires and is one of the main reasons i'm considering leaving here.
Of course there are the beaches on the Atlantic coast a few hours south of BA, but it's a pretty dismal coastline if you ask me with ugly towns and muddy sea. Once you get to Miramar though the sea gets bluer (away from the River plate) and the countryside is more interesting with green rolling hills. This is like a 5 or 6 hour drive though.
A few other places I was recommended for weekend trips from here in driving distance were Gualeyguachu and San Pedro which are ok, but again fairly uninspiring. One positive thing though it's made me appreciate how attractive the countryside and old villages are in the south of England and generally in Europe.
If you take a boat across to Uruguay and head a few hours north the countryside and beaches are more interesting, but then gets very expensive if you want to get out of BA regularly to see nature as Lee said, having to make long distance trips to get anywhere that's worth visiting.
I'd recommend moving to Mendoza, Cordoba or Salta that have amazing scenery and nature within an hour drive, and the people are more friendly.

header said:
Then there's 500 k of pampa in all other directions. A certain charm there, for sure, but not very dynamic.

This is certainly very unfair on the Pampa! There is more wildlife and birds that you imagine. If you happen to know someone who has a campo (there are estancias receiving guests as well), spend a long weekend there and you will be surprised. Usually there are trees around the houses that are like oasis for the birds. I go fishing regularly (frequently to the Río Salado) and while waiting for the fish to bite I watch nature...I have seen cuises, foxes, liebres, perdices, hundreds of water birds, picaflores, etc.

The delta is also MUCH more than Tigre. There are hundreds of water channels and islands to explore.

Entre Ríos, which is not so far from BA, has lots to offer.

A bit further: Sierra de la Ventana and San Luis.

Also the selva marginal (between La Plata and BA) is interesting.

great stuff already! I'm starting to get confident there will be enough to suit my modest needs. of course: more tips are welcome.

in my experience most people are not aware of their own natural surroundings. I find great joy in an area only half an hour from the city where I live, but most of my fellow city-dwellers have never been there, or didn't get further than the pancake restaurant next to the central parking lot.

a man doesn't need much. as long as there's a little, I'll be fine. I'll hop a bus or plane to get to the truly spectacular stuff.

Back