Growing Herbs, Etc In A Secluded Little Yard...

elcolo

Registered
Hi there,

I am currently living in an apartment with a small kind of balcony which is in between 4 tall buildings. There isn't much natural light getting in to the apartment, so little in fact that I have the lights on almost all day(it would be quite dull inside otherwise). The small balcony/courtyard isn't much better. I would love to be able to grow some herbs/vegetables or whatever out there. It's a small area but if anyone has any advice on herbs or plants that require little sunlight to survive I would try grow them. Anyone know of any?

Thanks

What direction is you balcony facing? I have a north facing balcony with a wall in front of it that reflects light, so I have less direct sunlight than my other balcony and terrazza, but actually has been more successful for my herbs. I have an abundant curly parsley, a almost 2 meter cilantro, 2 Basil plants that cannot die, and an oregano that's cascading over the side of the balcony (I got them all at Jumbo in the produce section for ~16 pesos each years ago). Don't discount reflected light.
You could also go with mint, it's basically a invasive weed and will grow like crazy.

Do get some ample pots though, especially for parsley or cilantro. These have tap roots and need a deep pot, 12"X12"X14" should do it. Raise them up on a stand or a table so they will not be blocked by the balcony walls. If it's really low light, add in a reflecting backdrop or put in some white curtains for your patio doors. Some soil with bonemeal bought from a vivero is probably cheaper and more suited to the climate than buying from Easy or Carrefour.

If your balcony receives 5/6 hours of sunlight per day, even 4, that should be fine.
Avoid black pots (they get hot = bad for the roots).

Sorry I never responded to this again. Here is a picture of the little 'yard'. Taken at night, and bear in mind it's surrounded by tall buildings.
09EhIia.jpg

I was thinking I could hang some pots off the window things that runs along the top of the wall. There is also the aircon machine which emits a lot of heat, so not sure how that would effect a lot of herbs. Definitely not the most ideal place to grow stuff but would like to try anyway.

The realtor probably sold that dismal spot as a balcony

I would be careful about hanging too much on the window in case it's not a load bearing window ;) depending on how long you're going to live there, I would look into a tall stand for the plants. I'm sure you can find something that will grow there, just might take a little trial and error.

In addition to the aforementioned mint, I had some sage (salvia) plants doing well here in a shady part of my garden. Maybe oregano would be worth a try, though it does seem to yellow a bit when there is not enough sun.

Thanks for the replies, will try plant some mint and sage to start with, I know oregano can go yellow quite easily but again might be worth trying

Back