Grrr! Argentine Supermarkets

You might be going to a really cheap supermarket like DIA%

If you are so unhappy here with groceries and driving I recommend you to go back home where you will find peace, potatoes and beautiful cebollas

Yes I am going back home to peace, potatoes and beautiful cebollas, I cant wait. After 3 years here i moan too much, its turned me into a grumpy old man living here, and my Argentine wife agrees with me, that things are like this and its crap...and that i`m a grumpy old man.

My electricity cuts out every night, and I haven't had water since yesterday. Some A-hole robbed cables form the Sarmiento train line on Monday causing a three block line all afternoon with people waiting to take a bus to get home to their family. I don't particularly care for the service in the supermarkets, but there are other things that really need to be solved first. You can choose not to go to that supermarket, but at least you can get home to your family.

Now that is frustrating, i hope things get back to normal soon. My spongy cebollas shade into insignificance to not having electricity and water.

If you are so unhappy here with groceries and driving I recommend you to go back home where you will find peace, potatoes and beautiful cebollas
BAexpats, the place where it is forbidden to keep two thoughts in your head at the same time. :) Maybe we can agree that there are good things and bad things and sometimes one just wants to vent, as another member pointed out. I totally agree that supermarket checkout is very slow. My solution is to only shop for basics there, like milk, flour, pasta, butter, cans, gaseosa, and only go as rarely as possible. (If I had an ARG credit card I would get those things delivered.) Then I go to the verduleria every two days or so, I go to the cheese place, the butcher (for huevos de campo), etc. And the chino for last minute bottles of wine! Or to a nice wine place once in a while.

I stick to the chinos. They're much more efficient then Argentines in a supermercado like Carrefour, Coto or Disco any day of the week.
Only because they're not as busy. Most tend to only have one checkout and are about the same size as the small Dias etc

Doesn't mean I don't love this place. In moving, I'm thinking of my finances and stability - purely. Can't blame me for being an opportunist. That's why I am here now.

And while I'm on that, yes, the fact that Argentina is in the position it is in is what frustrates me - the country could be so much better off, the people here could be so much better off. And many work really hard and deserve to be better off than they are.

The supermarket example is a small, daily reminder.

If I leave, best believe I'd be on a buquebus to visit at least once a month.

I feel your pain. Whenever I think about going to the supermarket, my brain is immediately filled with war flashbacks.

<snip> If I had an ARG credit card I would get those things delivered. <snip>

I've never tried taking advantage of delivery. Do all supermarkets, I use a local Disco, require a credit card for delivery? Don't you at least have the option of paying cash at checkout?

Thanks, Bob

Yes, you normally can pay in cash on site and let the goods be delivered, but I guess if your goal is to not go to the supermarket but purchase the stuff online, a CC is required.

When I lived in Accassusso, 5 years ago, it was so stressful to do the shopping with a small child and then balancing him and the food back home on my bicycle that I started to look for an option. I began ordering on line from LeShop and it worked like clockwork. Better then having them deliver from Carrefour. I can't remember how we payed, but I have a feeling that a debit card was involved.

I'm going to do some stocking up on Wednesday as we are going to be invaded the following weekend, as Villa la Angostura is hosting the world championships in motor cross. I hope not to have to leave my house at all.

EDIT: LeShop apparently didn't work out and closed in 2013.

Back