Guns In Argentina

Musicman

Registered
How many expats here own their own firearms ? Is it advisable now to cary one in the streets for self defense or not?

Can you get one in Argentina or is it best to import them? Just asking...

A gun license, let alone a portación de arma de fuego license isn't a straight forward procedure here. You need a DNI/legal residency, proof of income, background check, physical medical certificate, a mental health certificate, and for a carry permit specifically you need a Dictamen Jurídico Registral which unlike gun licenses isn't a shall issue but rather a may issue, i.e. you need to convince ANMaC why you need to be able to have a loaded gun in public if you're not a cop/security service member/military member.

American notions of gun ownership do not exist here. That being said, this is about legal gun ownership, there are tons of guns here that are held by people illegally, or people that do things illegally such as having a gun license, but transporting their weapon while loaded/unlocked in public for self defense, which is illegal without a portación license.

i might add, carrying a gun for pesonal protection in caba is a bad idea as a gringo. kinda like mexico unless you know people in high places. i own 4 in the us. my favorite form of protection in ba is a ballpoint pen with a big head that fits in the palm of tour hand extending through your fingers. its one of the reasons the special forces people always have one in their front pocket. leasons learned going through life.

i found it but too stupid to copy and paste. mc kenna…here is a little story. dated dec 22 2017. mc kenna is a great source for alot of things. guns are one

A gun license, let alone a portación de arma de fuego license isn't a straight forward procedure here. You need a DNI/legal residency, proof of income, background check, physical medical certificate, a mental health certificate, and for a carry permit specifically you need a Dictamen Jurídico Registral which unlike gun licenses isn't a shall issue but rather a may issue, i.e. you need to convince ANMaC why you need to be able to have a loaded gun in public if you're not a cop/security service member/military member.

American notions of gun ownership do not exist here. That being said, this is about legal gun ownership, there are tons of guns here that are held by people illegally, or people that do things illegally such as having a gun license, but transporting their weapon while loaded/unlocked in public for self defense, which is illegal without a portación license.

The license to carry a loaded gun was impossible (said by the paralegal who deal with mine) before Milei. Now, nobody knows.

Back