Guyana - Suriname - French Guiana

Checked but cannot find any info online on this subject: Do EU citizens receive immediate residency in French Guiana?

Yes, it's a part of the EU. There's no legal difference between living in French Guiana and living in Paris.

But not as safe as Paris despite its many problems! I was always on my toes even just coming back at night from a nearby Vietnamese(excellent) restaurant, the only place I could really consider not a total rip-off as everything in la Guyana Francaise is about 40% more expensive than the l'hexagone aka la belle France!

But not as safe as Paris despite its many problems! I was always on my toes even just coming back at night from a nearby Vietnamese(excellent) restaurant, the only place I could really consider not a total rip-off as everything in la Guyana Francaise is about 40% more expensive than the l'hexagone aka la belle France!

Salaries are also 40% higher than in l'hexagone.

Fr Guyana is an overseas department of France, so as others have said the GDP is a bit higher, etc, but it is an illusion. The numbers are inflated due to high subsidies and sparse population. France and EU pump money in there because the European space station is there - b/c of proximity to the equator it is cheaper and easier to launch satellites into orbit. If you can get a tour there do it. One of the best side trips I have ever done was a all-day sail boat ride to the former Devil's Island prison colony where you can swim off the boat right to the islands and see where some famous people were failed - Papillon and Dreyfus. Really one of the most interesting things I have ever done and such a lovely trip out to the islands. Do it! Downside to Fr Guyana is it is unreasonably expensive, and Cayenne is the absolute most boring capital city I have ever been in on a Sat night in my entire life. After 45 mins we found one bar open and it was karaoke, so the night wasn't completely lost.

French Guyana should be part of Brazil!

Look at a map! Look at a map!

Because! It should!

Look at a map!

Look at a map!

I started this thread to learn about the area not to have all of you just banter along starting a fight over the map etc. You have all been most informative. I trust I will not venture to this particular part of the globe when so much to see elsewhere. I will open a new thread on an area not far from the three countries to see who might have knowledge for my next exploration. Many thanks to all of you. Walter

I started this thread to learn about the area not to have all of you just banter along starting a fight over the map etc. You have all been most informative. I trust I will not venture to this particular part of the globe when so much to see elsewhere. I will open a new thread on an area not far from the three countries to see who might have knowledge for my next exploration. Many thanks to all of you. Walter

Don't let anyone deter you from going there, but do be aware of potential problems. I spent a month in the three Guianas with no incidents whatsoever, but I was particularly circumspect in Georgetown.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Travellers Stories 2