HALF PRICED AIRLINE TICKETS FOR EXPATS!!

DA

Registered
Hahahaha, Just kidding:) I started this new thread because the other one was getting out of hand. I would like any information on how to fly cheap in Argentina, I am going to spend a few months in Argentina with my family and I will be buying 5 airline tickets to each of the following places, Iguazu, Salta, Bariloche, Ushuaia, El calafate, Mendoza and back to Buenos Aires, as you can see this will add up to a serious amount of money especially since the thiefs are charging me dubbel for being a foreigner and I am seriously thinking of canceling this trip to Argentina, any suggestions on how to get around to these places with a family for a reasonable amount would be greatly appreciated.

That was a good one!GOOD. Cancel your plans. I encourage EVERYONE to do so and please pass this information on to anyone else you know who is contemplating a trip. I would still come to Buenos Aires if I were you.Maybe enough letters or emails to the Argentine Tourist Commission complaining about their practices would do something but I seriously doubt it as they only see the dollar immediately in front of them.Speaking of money, by the way, bring a bit more if you do come. Due to the President(s) (there are actually two of them) current policy with the strikers she has decided to punish them by trying to lower the dollar which is where their exports come from. Consequently the dollar has fallen seven centavos in the past four weeks while inflation is continually climbing.Hope you enjoy your holiday if you choose to take one!

DA, I'm not an Argentine but generally fly down once a year to visit friends and family. I thoroughly check the various online brokers yet, as often as not, find a call to Carbone Travel (formerly headquartered in New York, now in Florida) to give me the best deal. The toll-free number of the company is (800) 274-3684, I think; regrettably, I receive neither discount nor rebate for recommending them!

...... DA, got the solution for ya my man !!! 5 lawn chairs, some string, and THOUSANDS of balloons filled with helium. Tie them all together and enjoy the view as you float over Argentina - BON VOYAGE !!! Dudester PS. Never try to out joke a JOKER - lol (that Subject Title - can't let it slide, retribution is basically called for and mandatory in this situation - lol)

You have a few options to reduce your travel costs, LAN offers a South American Air pass, their alliance, One World also offers a South American Air Pass that seems to be a bit cheaper than the LAN version. One hitch is that in order to get the best price or to be able to purchase it at all you need to fly into South America on LAN or another One World carrier ie. American Airlines, British Airways etc. Aerolíneas Argentinas offers their version as well. One price if you fly in on Aerolineas a bit higher if on another airline. As for the higher prices that non residents must pay for airline tickets in Argentina there is a rational reason for that. (or at least rational for Argentina :) )..the government pays subsidies to the domestic airlines to insure service to smaller markets and to keep the prices lower for residents. Good deal for the residents and the tourists pay the market price.

Completely reasonable if you are a resident who, as a result of the subsidy, can afford to travel by air. Not so reasonable if you are a resident in a villa de miseria with no place to go as you wait for your subsidy...in whatever form that might take.

Good point. What I appreciate as reasonable is governmental return of value to its taxpayers. Better would be lower taxes to begin with, perhaps -- but that would reduce the incomes of small sellers and others who depend upon tourism to places which, without this subsidy, would be less visited (to say nothing of the loss of jobs in airlines which, again, might be obliged to go out of business).

Yes, some individuals, communities, and entire industries do benefit from government subsidies (funded through tax revenues), and what you say certainly applies to the otherwise less visited tourist destinations of Argentina and the business that depend upon both resident and non-resident visitors who use the airlines to reach them. Not only are the poorer residents of Argentina not buying airline tickets, they probably aren't adding much to the tax revenues, either. I realize that their situation isn't a problem that would be solved by eliminating the subsidy to the airlines. As a resident, I'm not comfortable with the fact that my domestic travel is subsidized by the government, even though I pay taxes here. I would prefer to pay the lowest fare available in a competitive (free) market, but of course I need to remember where I am.

Its a policy that I disagree with but I do not beleive that you should not boycott the country because of it as mentioned by the resident RMBuenos Aires. Dude you seem to have some sickness there as out of your 1000s of posts you have spewed nothing but Hatred towards the Argentinians. Give them a break

Back