Happy Independence Day: Caminos y Sabores

This is a great expo with all kinds of gourmet products from all corners of Argentina. I have gone the 2 previous years. The thing that really shocked me the most were the prices, last year they were asking $25 and $30 pesos for small jars of rasberry and blueberry jelly. A 100gr package of smoked fish from patagonia was going for $40 pesos ($400 pesos kg) and some of the chocolate from bariloche was $300 pesos kg. Usually prices at expos are lower but of course not here.

Yes, the prices can be a bit ridiculous, but...

They have the BEST PRICES ON CHEESES & SALAMIS that you're going to find in the city... until two weeks from now when "La Rural" returns and all of the same vendors return to sell their stuff. (Though they might sell for slightly lower prices to the La Rural crowd.)

PHOTOS:

548350_10151083687863255_1602456800_n.jpg

319362_10151083688453255_714491552_n.jpg

428876_10151083689313255_429756376_n.jpg

After watching the Kirchner speach and some coverage of the block parties I went out to Plaza de Mayo expecting some type of action but there was nothing.

Should I have gone to San Telmo or Boca?

There were not many Flags flying in Boedo or Caballito today.

I guess I was tricked by the Tucuman coverage into the amount of celebration there would be in Capital Federal.

BXpat said:
After watching the Kirchner speach and some coverage of the block parties I went out to Plaza de Mayo expecting some type of action but there was nothing.

Should I have gone to San Telmo or Boca?

There were not many Flags flying in Boedo or Caballito today.

I guess I was tricked by the Tucuman coverage into the amount of celebration there would be in Capital Federal.

This city doesn't care about 25 de Mayo (unless it's the bicentennial) or 9 de Julio. The apathy that I encountered my first year (2007) blew me away. Flag Day gets a little love, but not a ton. It's really kind of depressing.

I will say, if you wanted to see lots of people lined up, you should have checked out the line into Caminos y Sabores at about 2:00pm. I would estimate that there were over 500 people OUTSIDE the entrance in the middle of Sarmiento, and maybe as many as 700. (The line stretched all the way to Plaza Italia, in front of that entrance of La Rural, and then around the corner and further down the block on Santa Fe.)

Add those people to the people already inside the large entrance to the grounds, but not yet to the ticket counter (200-300 people) and you've got one ridiculous line. I ended up passing on C y S and went for a late lunch with friends at a cafe in P. Hollywood.

I got this nice photo on the way home. Maybe no fireworks, but the sky looked to be filled with tiny puffs of cotton-esque smoke. Perhaps a Michel Gondry rendition of the sky on above a battlefield.

376808_10151269614012538_327795365_n.jpg

Sooo...

How did other people celebrate Independence Day?

We did not celebrate Independence day, but the fact that we could go out to sail was a celebration in itself. Two months ago we overhauled the boat and it was the first day we could take it out as wind and river conditions were right. We did hoist the reglamentary flag though.
PD.:We were also fascinated by the blue sky and white clouds.Here is our version.

Back