Hard to Find seasonings & spices

jamila

Registered
Hello everyone... I am packing up and getting ready for my move to Buenos Aires on the 1st of Sept. I was planning on giving away most of the stuff in my pantry away... but then a friend mentioned that it might be hard to get some things down there.

So i thought I would ask you guys are there any seasonings, spices or herbs that you find really hard to find? Any other pantry items that would be worth packing up and bringing with me?

Probably your friend never left Palermo, so he or she doesn't really know BA.
You can find anything in most shops, stores, supermarkets and even some small places which sell all kind of spices.
El gato Negro in avenida Corrientes is just one of those shops.
Also some shops in the local Chinatown in Belgrano area.

I have never found tumeric. Mediterranean sea salt i only find the small glass bottles at Coto. Where can I find these two around Belgrano?

You can find basic stuff easily, but if you go out of the mainstream by one inch you're in trouble. You can find lots of more sophisticated stuff in the barrio chino.

You can look up discovirtual.com.ar and see what a regular supermarket offers.

che said:
I have never found tumeric. Mediterranean sea salt i only find the small glass bottles at Coto. Where can I find these two around Belgrano?

You can get turmeric at New Garden Villares - $8 per 100 grams. I've also seen it at Asia Oriental on Mendoza.

Marinades are not a common practice here, therefore some/most of the mixes are not sold locally.

che said:

Any dietetica will have "cúcurma." Though most of what I've seen here isn't as bright yellow. It has more or less the same flavor, though. I just bought and used some today! :)

have been searching for garam masala and tellicherry pepper for years, can never find those two. most other spices can be found in chinatown or small independent stores.

Gorilla Monsoon said:
have been searching for garam masala and tellicherry pepper for years, can never find those two. most other spices can be found in chinatown or small independent stores.

For garam masala, try El Gato Negro (as mentioned above) on Corrientes. I know they had it at one point.

One of the things I miss most is peanut butter, ranch and caesar salad dressing. I did find some peanut butter but it was $40 (pesos). The caesar I have had is really just tastes like mayo. Also simple pepper seems hard to find and expensive when you do.

Back