Has anyone come across any weird Argentine laws?

The list of names is right on the Registro Civil page: http://www.registrocivil.gov.ar/areas/registrocivil/nombres/?menu_id=28

There are many names on it from other languages, and if you want to name your child something that is not on the list then it is a process of appeal, and usually approved. Once approved, the name gets added to the list and others may use that name in the future without having to appeal. Having to choose your child's name from an official list is not as rare as you think -- many European (especially Scandanavian countries if I remember correctly) also have the same process. Hopefully it slows down those parents that attempt to be ridiculously unique with names, or just try to give their child a silly spelling in an effort to set them apart (which only results in them having to correct everyone for the rest of their life).

erindanelle said:
I found this in a blog through google.com
Hopefully this sets your off in the right path!

"Yet despite Buenos Aires' proud "melting pot" demographics, there's also strong sentiment to preserve Argentine culture from outside influences. Expectant parents, for example, must choose their baby's name from a list of sufficiently Argentine names pre-approved by the government."

Not true at all! Read the list, if you want to name your child Finlay, Llewelyn, Scott etc you can, they are on the list. As long as the name is on the list you can use it. If it isn't you can appeal, the appeal process, like anything is going to be lengthy, so I doubt many go through with it. There's Aaliyah on the list and a bunch of other silly ones taken from Celeb's kids though. My mother-in-law was the only Gladys in the country when she was born (not that she was ever happy about that!) and my bf's cousins are named Jonathan and Christian (yes, with english spellings).

syngirl said:
Not true at all! Read the list, if you want to name your child Finlay, Llewelyn, Scott etc you can, they are on the list. As long as the name is on the list you can use it. If it isn't you can appeal, the appeal process, like anything is going to be lengthy, so I doubt many go through with it. There's Aaliyah on the list and a bunch of other silly ones taken from Celeb's kids though. My mother-in-law was the only Gladys in the country when she was born (not that she was ever happy about that!) and my bf's cousins are named Jonathan and Christian (yes, with english spellings).

I know, not a great quote... I was just trying to show that the list exists and I wasn't making the law up!

My Argentine boyfriend's sister's name is Heidi! His parents had to apply for that name. They heard about the story of the girl with the pigtails and loved the name!

erindanelle said:
I found this in a blog through google.com
Hopefully this sets your off in the right path!

"Yet despite Buenos Aires' proud "melting pot" demographics, there's also strong sentiment to preserve Argentine culture from outside influences. Expectant parents, for example, must choose their baby's name from a list of sufficiently Argentine names pre-approved by the government."

I'm going to read more on this, I thought the law only required you to use names that are not offensive or ridiculous or sometihng, even if you came up with the name, I didn't know there's an actual pre approved name list, that's just crazy

Well, I'm glad to know That my name is on the list - but only since 1998 I believe.... I look forward to hearing about other crazy laws

You can propose names that are not on the list. They would have to be approved, but i think the system is much more flexible now.

My grandmother for example is named Moira which is gaelic, and back then (1920) there was no antecedent of that name in the country. But my great grandparents insisted (they had to present papers showing that that was indeed a name commonly used) and finally the let her have it.

I belive parents should be able to name their kids as they like, but i admit when i hear some names people get in countries where names are not regulated (Ecuador, Uruguay), i thank god for our system.:D

I remember an article about the weird names in Ecuador. Some of them were:
Land Rover García
Adolf Hitler
Conflicto Internacional Loor
Burger King Herrera
Alí Babá Cárdenas
Vick Vaporup Gíler

lol

syngirl said:
. . . . Having to choose your child's name from an official list is not as rare as you think -- many European (especially Scandanavian countries if I remember correctly) also have the same process. . . .
It exists, too, in France; or, at the least, it did in my childhood. There, and then, the list as such didn't exist: not published, and virtually at the discretion of local officials. The reason given for requiring their approval before the birth name could be registered was (if I remember correctly) the preservation of Gallic culture (think of the inroads of "le sportscar" and its kin!).

'Never heard before that any of the northwestern European countries exercised similar control.

fedecc said:
You can propose names that are not on the list. They would have to be approved, but i think the system is much more flexible now.

My grandmother for example is named Moira which is gaelic, and back then (1920) there was no antecedent of that name in the country. But my great grandparents insisted (they had to present papers showing that that was indeed a name commonly used) and finally the let her have it.

I belive parents should be able to name their kids as they like, but i admit when i hear some names people get in countries where names are not regulated (Ecuador, Uruguay), i thank god for our system.:D

I remember an article about the weird names in Ecuador. Some of them were:
Land Rover García
Adolf Hitler
Conflicto Internacional Loor
Burger King Herrera
Alí Babá Cárdenas
Vick Vaporup Gíler

lol

They have this problem in Paraguay too, you can even name your boy as a girl or the other way around, here are some people I know from Paraguay:

Anderson Gonzalez
Charles Gonzalez
Marciano Vian (marciano = martian as in people from that planet)
Concepción Vian (it's a guy)
Cristo Santos (it's a girl)
Ever Almeida

I thought that one of the issues with this official list is that it includes generally Spanish but not indiginous names and thus is quite discriminatory ... but I have no source for this I just remember having been told it at some point ... sorry.

Re: laws ... surely the doctors and swimming pools one is worth mentioning

Back