Has anyone come across any weird Argentine laws?

nikad said:
What about the blood tests you need to get at a public hospital before getting married?

really? jaja... I didn't know that one!

There's also one about if one parent is taking the children out of the country there must be written consent by the other parent? I understand this is to protect child abduction. Not sure if this type of law exists in other countries, I don't have any children and i've always left my home country either with both parents or alone.

Yes Erin, this is true, it is a requirement in order to get married here. I am local, but I remember my husband being pretty shocked about it at the time ;) ... well, you know how bad guys fear needles, hehehe

Nikad what do they do if some sort of illness or disease shows up in the blood test? Or is it purely just to record the blood types of married couples in case of need in the future... ie sick children/relatives... ?

I'm also known to faint at the sight of needles!

erindanelle said:
Nikad what do they do if some sort of illness or disease shows up in the blood test? Or is it purely just to record the blood types of married couples in case of need in the future... ie sick children/relatives... ?

I'm also known to faint at the sight of needles!

If you have a STD, you will not be able to get married during the time you can pass it on to others. Records of your blood types are kept as well. Here is a link to the law ( in Spanish ) http://www.ciudadyderechos.gov.ar/derechosbasicos_l.php?id=18&id2=141&id3=2536
If you are getting married and fainting at the sight of the needle, he´d better be worth it! ;)

We had to have blood tests in Washington, DC, in 2006. Not very extensive, if I recall correctly, but had to be done. Like many things in the US, it is state by state (or District in our case).

nikad said:
If you have a STD, you will not be able to get married during the time you can pass it on to others. Records of your blood types are kept as well. Here is a link to the law ( in Spanish ) http://www.ciudadyderechos.gov.ar/derechosbasicos_l.php?id=18&id2=141&id3=2536
If you are getting married and fainting at the sight of the needle, he´d better be worth it! ;)

huh! Well there you go! I think having a healthy sex life could ultimately lead to transmitting such diseases before marriage however! Of course one should take precautions to prevent such happenings and have regular tests anyway.

Sounds like the law is too old, too religiously minded and out of date.

oh and yes... he's worth it! :p

The consent for children is a law that was proposed by the UN -- I believe sometime in the past 5 years. Now no country that has signed is allowed to knowingly permit the transport of children without the appropriate papers. And they're pretty strict about it at the airports! My brother married a Dutch woman, they travel back about once a year from Canada where they reside. One year my sister-in-law went a week earlier than him with their baby, so she had the papers. He also left for canada a week earlier. When she left, she had thrown out the papers because she didn't see how anyone could protest when she was obviously heading to her country of residence -- but she got to the airport and they wouldn't even let her check-in without the papers! She ended up having to call my brother and get him to go to a notary and fax off the papers direct to the airline before she was allowed aboard.

I think if you want unusual laws that are unique to Argentina you will have to contact some lawyers, not just expats. Most laws here are common in other countries as well, however for the oddities you'll need an expert. I know many countries have some very strange laws still on the books simply because it would be such a long process to get them out.

Oh another one with the names of kids: if the parents are unmarried at the time of the birth of their child they can choose whether to give the child the last name of the mother or the father. If they are married when their child is born, they must automatically use the name of the father.

criswkh said:
I think my favorite one is when you die your property goes to your family, even if you have a will and want to give your property to someone else.

good point and you cannot give more than 20percent of your assets to a non family member in Argentina.

pericles said:
good point and you cannot give more than 20percent of your assets to a non family member in Argentina.

Wills are ignored, and so usually are prenuptial agreements. If you keep your assets outside of Argentina you can probably finagle things a little more. If you file for divorce outside of Argentina you might get yourself better leverage -- the Economist recently had an article about international divorces.

Back