Has anyone here delivered something with Grabr?

How do customs work if you are a tourist entering Argentina? So not a resident or anything.

How do customs work if you are a tourist entering Argentina? So not a resident or anything.
They push everyone through the same customs line regardless if resident or tourist. Though the rules are different. When I was a non resident I did not understand their questions or was slow to answer, so maybe they always waved me thru thinking tourist. Perhaps now I seem to understand what they ask. They did not ask resident status or ask for id.

It's a bit complicated because the franchise for cellphones and laptops is 1 each, generally understood to be for Argentine tax residents entering the country (i.e. not tourists bringing their phone with them, that's generally counted as part of the franchise of personal belongings which will leave the country when they depart). There is debate as to whether this means residents can keep their phone and bring a new one (same with laptop) but I can confirm I've brought multiple phones and laptops with me (3 phones once and 2 laptops) and they never said anything. I think what can be seen as reasonable (i.e. in my case, my personal + work laptop and work phones and personal phone) vs. someone bringing in 5 or more new iPhones is what can cause red flags.

Your mileage may vary, but I've never seen them pull someone aside for having 2 phones or laptops for example

Franquicias-Equipaje-Aduana-AFIP-Argentina-2021.10.jpg

Your mileage may vary, but I've never seen them pull someone aside for having 2 phones or laptops for example
That is why it was not my normal experience. I've traveled with similar two 50lb bags for over 15 years 2-4 trips per year. Except not during the pandemic years. This February was the first time I had been stopped, questioned about value of contents, and bags searched for no apparent reason, and no question if I am resident or not. Plus this trip had almost no electronics of new value. Not the two laptops, two phones and one tablet I used to carry years before.

Last edited:
Back