Have Read All Posts, Still Have Unanswered Telecomm ?'s

RobeartoNYC

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I have read all of the posts regarding Vonage, Skype, Magic Jack, etc..., But I am still not sure what I can do. Here is my issue, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Situation: I have a US number that I need to keep. I know that I can transfer the number to Vonage, and that is likely my plan. However, I need to be able to receive my calls and my data via my mobile phone.

Is there anyone who is currently set up this way? I need to know what service you are using, what phone, what internet provider, cell provider etc...

I am concerned that I will not be able to pull this off, which will chain me to my desk all day and night in BA. I have read some excellent feedback in bits and pieces, but I can't seem to put together the total package of: Unlimited calls and texts and emails via Vonage on a mobile device while (for instance) sitting at a cafe in Palermo. Has anyone been able to do this? I know I can't be the only one who needs it.

Once again, thank all of you very much for all of your help on this subject, and the many others that I have found incredibly useful on this forum.

-R:confused:

hmmm. Well i have skype with a monthly plan and it allows me to transfer my calls to my home phone in Buenos Aires at no extra cost, however if I want my calls forwarded to my cell phone it will cost me extra, as i will have to buy skype credit and it also uses up my cell phone minutes since it doesn't concider it a free incoming call. Most (it not all) voip clients charge to call Argie cellphones.

I suspect if you want to transmit and receive data / emails on a US phone while in Argentina, it would be very expensive in the long run. Two years ago I racked up over AU$7,000 in a single month on my Australian Telstra phone while using it for data in the US for a couple of weeks. (My boss was not pleased). I would explore getting a local phone with an attractive internet plan and use POP/IMAP to retrieve your messages.

Neil

Here was my solution: I used Vonage for voice calls and a US T-Mobile Blackberry for data, before switching to an unlocked iPhone.

With Vonage, you can forward calls to your Argentine mobile number though it will cost you $.17 - $.21 per minute. Forwarding to a land line is free.

I also used my T-Mobile blackberry for data. You can get the $39.98 unlimited data plan and add the $19.95 international data option. This gave me access to email, Internet and copies of any voice mails from Vonage that were forwarded to my email.

Eventually, I settled on an unlocked iPhone as I did not need to be always connected. I put in a Movistar pre-paid card and used it for voice service and since WiFi is so common in Buenos Aires used that for data and making Skype calls when necessary. Worked great!

You will probably not be able to get a voice and data plan from an Argentine mobile company without a business, residency or DNI.

Hope that helps.

Cheapest solution is to get a US Skype number with unlimited calling to US numbers (about $11 a month I think). Then with an unlocked Iphone connected to a Wifi network, you will be able to receive calls through Skype application when somebody calls your US number. When you leave the Wifi hotspot you can forward your Skype number to a pre-paid Argentina mobile Sim. The forwarded calls are not cheap. It's about 22 cents per minute.

jkreisler said:
Cheapest solution is to get a US Skype number with unlimited calling to US numbers (about $11 a month I think). Then with an unlocked Iphone connected to a Wifi network, you will be able to receive calls through Skype application when somebody calls your US number. When you leave the Wifi hotspot you can forward your Skype number to a pre-paid Argentina mobile Sim. The forwarded calls are not cheap. It's about 22 cents per minute.

The only problem is he needs to keep his US number and he cannot transfer that to Skype. He'll probably need some combination of services.

I forgot, Vonage also has a iPhone app so that may be the way to go. Vonage at home and the Vonage iPhone app over WiFi.

Maikito said:
yes, but great news, the NEW iPhone OS 3.2 will now allow VOIP over 3G. Cool News!

That is great, but most expats cannot get 3G plans. They have to use pay-per-use, so it does not help much.

Sleuth said:
That is great, but most expats cannot get 3G plans. They have to use pay-per-use, so it does not help much.

Thanks to everyone, excellent feedback above.

Why cant most expats not get 3G? How do I move out of the "most category" and into the "3G having Expat" category??

Anyone?

You will need a one of these: DNI, residency, CUIT, and I'm sure others can come up with another requisite. Some have been lucky to get contracts or data plans with the 3G providers here (don't know about Nextel) without much problem. Although, you can now purchase pre-paid data time at any kiosko. If you have a friend here that has the the requisites and trusts you with payments, they could take the 3G data plans on their name.

Back