Having a camera sent to me in Buenos Aires

srutan

Registered
Hola. I arrived a few days ago to start my Spanish studies in BA for a couple of months. I lost my new $200 camera and it is $850 to replace it here. I was planning to have a friend buy it in the States and Mail or Fed Ex it to me here....but am getting conflicting info as to whether it will make it past customs. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thank you. I'm looking forward to my adventure here.

Good luck! I would make sure you have your friend fill out the customs form completely. I'm sure you will pay but you may have a chance in getting it at least.

Forget it!! If it doesnt get stolen in the mail it will pay 50%tax on the total cost (including the shipment).
Wait til somebody flies here and bring it with him
good luck

Send me a private message with your email address. I am coming down in January and could bring it then possibly.

DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING sent into this country unless it is personally carried in by someone you know or trust.

Why? If you have it sent in through the regular ways you may find that:

1. It may take weeks before you actually get it.

2. You'll be taxed at least %50 of it's value on top PLUS storage fees - The Aduana decide what the original purchase value is...not you.

3. You may not get it at all....it will 'get lost' on the way.

There is a mule service you can check out online, I forgot the name sorry but you'll google it. All the best. Sorry to have to warn you like this.

If you can wait for someone to bring it do it, Fedex is relatively safe but expensive. USPS will take within 1 to 8 weeks or more ! and It might get "lost"... 6 years ago I received a printer and took almost 3 months and %50 taxes I'd find a reputable seller on Mercado Libre to buy it for the best price if you really needed.

If my mom sends me a package with a cardigan sweater and some deoderants (no Tom's All Natural to be found here!) what do you guys suppose will happen? Does customs charge for that kind of stuff or only for electronics and bigger items?

lucha54,

You will get tons of horror storys and most true. As I stated eariler if you post everything on the customs dec you may have a chance to get the package. The more expensive the package, the less chance you will see it or if you do it will cost you. If you mail USPS(assuming from the United States) we have had better experiences then customs at the airport(Fed Ex) but I'm sure most people will post the opposite, just my experience so far.

Hi buddha thanks for your response. I will have it sent via USPS directly to my apartment in the city. I'll have my mom write fake (but not improbable) values on the customs declaration, i.e. $2 deoderants, $10 sweater, whatever. If I have to pay half of that, then it's worth it!! Hopefully it will go smoothly...we'll see.

lucha54 said:
Hi buddha thanks for your response. I will have it sent via USPS directly to my apartment in the city. I'll have my mom write fake (but not improbable) values on the customs declaration, i.e. $2 deoderants, $10 sweater, whatever. If I have to pay half of that, then it's worth it!! Hopefully it will go smoothly...we'll see.

You do know that they x-ray this stuff, right? So, if the deodorant or the sweater aren't in the box, you might have some 'splainin to do...

Back