Having a package sent to me! Need help!

ritchie.travels

Registered
Ola!
My sister is posting a new camera she bought but no longer needs, to me in BA (from Australia)...how can I go about having it actually arrive? Ive read that Fedex and DHL are ludicrously expensive here, so its easier to send anything by post?...is there any one big post office where I can have her address it and then I collect upon its arrival?
Any tips/warnings/advice on sending things to BA would be awesome!
Gracius
-Ritchie

Please prepare yourself to pay import fees of 50% of the camera's value (even if it's out of the original box and you say it's used). They usually charge 50% duty on the shipping fees as well. There have been many posts on this subject. You can find them using the search feature.

DO NOT HAVE STUFF SENT THRU THE COURIER OR MAIL TO ARGENTINA. PERIOD. EVERY WEEK I RUN INTO AN EXPAT IN MENDOZA WHO HAS MATERIAL STUCK IN CUSTOMS IN BA THEY HAVE TO GO AND TRY TO EXTRACT IT. THEY HAVE TO GO IN PERSON. IT INVOLVES LOTS OF PAPERWORK, DELAY AND BRIBES.

Every thing written in English about Argentina shouñld have this warning stuck to the cover.

I agree wholeheartedly with Mendozanow!!!! Don't have a package sent here. I had 3 packages sent over 3 years and none of them arrived - and they only had chocolate bars, gravy sactchets and a few treats from home. (I told friends not to send them but they did) Twice I got a notification in the mail from Correo Argentina to say they arrived and to go and pick them up - and when I did - magic - they had disappeared! 1 just went into the ether! Others may have had good experiences I know but I haven't. And some people tell me about their experiences of having electronics sent (although I don't have 1st hand experience) and 1 of 3 scenarios happens 1) disappears never to be seen again 2) Big taxes to be paid 3) Big taxes and bribes to be paid.

I have a similar question. If I want a document sent to me by FedEx or DHL, but don't have a permanent address, is there somewhere I can send it and pick it up?

STElmoFranco said:
I have a similar question. If I want a document sent to me by FedEx or DHL, but don't have a permanent address, is there somewhere I can send it and pick it up?

Even if you don't have a "permanent" address, aren't you in one place long enough for the document to arrive while you are there?

STElmoFranco said:

Your embassy might... I know for a fact that the U.S. Embassy does not. So if you're an American, that's not an option. But perhaps some other countries might allow it? I doubt it, but it's a thought.

Yes, I guess I could have it sent to my temporary apartment. Do they leave a notice or just leave it at the door or what? I don't have a doorman.

I've never had anything sent to me by family, but I have purchased orders from Hong Kong and the UK that were fairly large (a little larger than a camera), and one time I had to go the post office in Retiro to pick up, and the other times they gave it to the portería in my apartment building to give to me. However, I had them sent in my boyfriend's name since he is Argentine and I figured he'd have a much easier time being able to get something out of the post office than I would. So if something like that is an option for you, maybe you should try that? As far as time has gone, something like a book from the UK took one week to arrive here, whereas the items from Hong Kong took anywhere from 2 weeks to almost 2 months, but all my items did arrive.

Best of luck!

I've had several document packages arrive to my apartment without a problem (the key is to be in an envelope so it's clearly only paper inside). I don't have a doorman either, they just toss it under the door I suppose, I usually find it on the floor or on the stairs if someone has gathered everything. I think everything I have had sent has been FedEx or USPS. I got them in 8-10 days I believe. If you have an American Express card you can have things sent to their office, I believe, but I've never done this myself.

I'd say you're OK on documents and books, but a big no no on any other sorts of packages. Only nightmare stories of long lines and lots of money.

Back