Having a package sent to me! Need help!

They are right: do not mail it!
If you can, give it to a friend that travels from there to here, no problem there.

STElmoFranco said:
Yes, I guess I could have it sent to my temporary apartment. Do they leave a notice or just leave it at the door or what? I don't have a doorman.
FedEx leaves a note and tries to deliver the package three times. After that, it goes to their office and you pick it up there.

Isn't there a neighbor, a friendly nearby shop, or any other place which will accept delivery of the package? People here are used to helping each other out - nothing works, so we must rely on friends and acquaintances.

When I was living in BA last year I had a few care packages sent to me by my family. They mostly only contained hot sauce, tea, chocolate, etc. Every time I would get a notice at my house saying that my package was at the Retiro mail center so I always had to go down there to retrieve it.

It's a pretty annoying process. You have to first wait a while to receive a number. Then you go wait in a bigger room usually for 1-3 hours until you hear your number called. And that's the most frustrating part. You have to listen for your 10 digit number to be called in rapid-fire Spanish over an intercom speaker by a guy who's clearly bored with his job. Make sure that you bring your passport.

Back