He Has Left Reality And Wandered Into His Own Self Image

I played soccer as a kid and have occasionally played here with local fiends. I think the most enjoyable part is the social aspect. Watching soccer on tv on the other hand has got to be the most boring thing I've ever seen; right up there with american football.

I played soccer as a kid and have occasionally played here with local fiends. I think the most enjoyable part is the social aspect. Watching soccer on tv on the other hand has got to be the most boring thing I've ever seen; right up there with american football.

Both of them bore me, too, but at least there are no scoreless ties in US football any more. As one coach said, "A tie is like kissing your sister."

There are many fiends involved in Argentine soccer.

Some say Alfredo Di Stefano was the best player ever, but likely, none of us saw him playing.

He was very elegant too

Old people say that the best argentine player ever was Moreno, part of the best generation Argentina ever had in the 40s. Sadly, there wasnt any World Cup those years, for obvious reasons, but that generation, where Di Stefano was a substitute was even better than the one in the 80s.

From what I saw, clearly Maradona was the best player. Totally magic, unpredictable, very creative in the way he finished, his aesthetic, the way he kicked the ball, long passes, short passes, dribbling... Pele was a beast, a goal machine that finished always exactly with what the play asked for, putting the ball away from everyone, but Maradona did what nobody expected, what the play did not ask, totally surprising everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp7cTlvHgUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Td0FLHIbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4309502.stm

I thought Argentines were just fanatical period. Isn't soccer just one of ten thousand forums for them to express it?

Which reminds me. Speaking of their soccer fanaticism.

I couldn't understand what was happening one weekend afternoon driving down Av. Mitre in Avellaneda when this 6 lane wide thoroughfare emptied of traffic in front of me just past the square. I noticed inexplicable debris on the road before I saw the people throwing things and realized with horror that I had stumbled into the middle of a barrabrava rock and stick throwing street brawl in the center of town on a Sunday soccer afternoon.

I did know what was happening, however, one other evening outside my girlfriend's mother's apartment in Avellenada not too far from the Independiente stadium when I heard the deep roar of 10,000 people chanting in unison "Hi...jo...de....puta. Hi...jo...de....puta. Hi...jo...de...puta"

I'm not in Argentina anymore. Didn't much like it...except for the scenery. Too much savana/jungle vibe for my taste.

I thought Argentines were just fanatical period. Isn't soccer just one of ten thousand forums for them to express it?

Which reminds me. Speaking of their soccer fanaticism.

I couldn't understand what was happening one weekend afternoon driving down Av. Mitre in Avellaneda when this 6 lane wide thoroughfare emptied of traffic in front of me just past the square. I noticed inexplicable debris on the road before I saw the people throwing things and realized with horror that I had stumbled into the middle of a barrabrava rock and stick throwing street brawl in the center of town on a Sunday soccer afternoon.

I did know what was happening, however, one other evening outside my girlfriend's mother's apartment in Avellenada not too far from the Independiente stadium when I heard the deep roar of 10,000 people chanting in unison "Hi...jo...de....puta. Hi...jo...de....puta. Hi...jo...de...puta"

I'm not in Argentina anymore. Didn't much like it...except for the scenery. Too much savana/jungle vibe for my taste.

Argentine soccer veers between boring and terrifying.

Y, de que equipo sos hincha?

I guess we all heard that one at least once when meeting an Argentine for the first time. (if you answer straight away Club Atletico Tucuman, look at the puzzled eyes of the asker)

Y, de que equipo sos hincha?

I guess we all heard that one at least once when meeting an Argentine for the first time. (if you answer straight away Club Atletico Tucuman, look at the puzzled eyes of the asker)

Nobody's ever asked me that. My nephews keep threatening to take me a game, but so far I've managed to avoid being kidnapped.

Back