Hefty tax on property sale!

Well I'm happy to report that my friend's AFIP tax bill was reduced from nearly $34,000 to just $4,000. He has to pay the accountant for his work which was a substantial amount but obviously still works out at a big saving.
If I find out more details of what the precise errors were, will post.

CarverFan said:
Well I'm happy to report that my friend's AFIP tax bill was reduced from nearly $34,000 to just $4,000. He has to pay the accountant for his work which was a substantial amount but obviously still works out at a big saving.
If I find out more details of what the precise errors were, will post.

Yeah, this sounds better. I've found the vast majority of the people out there, especially foreigners that hear horror stories or "friend of friend" stories just don't understand the laws here or how they pertain to non-residents.

As long as you've been declaring your rental income, paying your ABL bills, paying your annual asset taxes each year, when you sell you will have 1.5% transfer tax, 1.25% stamp tax, seller portion legal fees and that's really it.

If you weren't declaring your rental taxes or not paying your taxes on time then all bets are off.

However, lately I am hearing from some foreigners where they were paying their taxes on time and also paying rental taxes and AFIP still tried hassling them over paying some extra. It wasn't too much more but they were VERY careful inspecting each utility bill and in months where there was usage, even if it wasn't rented, they assessed a tax on that month. My friend had that happen to him recently. Rather waste time appealing it, he paid the extra 2,500 pesos.

Your basically at the mercy of AFIP when applying for this non-resident permit to sell but it really helps if you understand the laws and taxes applicable to you.

Back