helados artesanales

dutara

Registered
Know of a good helados artesanal place? Well, do tell!
Your post will be considered a recommendation, so "I saw a place on..." just won't cut it. There are places with the word "artesanal" on their sign and the quality is below that of the mass-produced stuff in the supermarket. Places to avoid are also noteworthy.

I just came across Mimo's at Emilio Mitre esq Tejedor, one block from the the E. Mitre station on the E line. They're open in the afternoon (or maybe earlier) and close at 1am.

The things I've had with "crema" in the name were out of this world. There are several chocolate types, but I only tried one and didn't care for it (but YMMV, of course). Worth the trip if you like ice cream.
12p for one-quarter litre, seems to be the size everyone goes for, myself included, and you can choose up to three flavors.
If one of your New Year's resolutions is dieting you may want to push it back a month or two after checking this place out.

If you go to saltshaker.com and search for helados you will find really good reviews of many helados places.

There is a lot of hit and miss with the artesenal ice cream parlours, but I have found some of the best ice cream to be in little family stores around different neighborhoods. Dan of SaltShaker's review is great, but a man can only be expected to eat and review so many ice cream stores (there are a LOT in this town). One near me in Caballito on Yerbal (between Primera Junta and Puan on Linea A) is called Helados Freeport and they are fantastic! Cheap, too, unlike the major chains like Freddo, Persicco, etc. Usually you can save yourself the pain of buying an ice cream that you don't like by trying it first.

Definitely Heladería Olimpia on Av. de Mayo al 800 (close to calle Florida). Tramontana and Pomelo Rosado are espectacular as they say here.

Emede 1952, Larrea 1535, Recoleta
Cadore, Corrientes y Rodríguez Peña
Tino http://www.tinohelados.com.ar/
El Piave http://www.heladeriaselpiave.com
Monte Olivia. Fernandez de Enciso 3999
Diecci. Chivilcoy 3405
El Ciervo. Rivadavia 10300
Brezza. Emilio Castro 7401
Rimini. Nazca 2399
Via Varese. Cabildo y Juana de Zurduy
Scanapieco, Córdoba al 4800
Palmeiras, José Bonifacio y Pedernera
Saverio, San Juan al 2800
Luca, Rivera y Naón

TomAtAlki said:
If you go to saltshaker.com and search for helados you will find really good reviews of many helados places.

If you really are an ice-cream fanatic a good paperback review of the best local offerings is El libro de oro del helado argentino. My friend´s husband collaborated on the research and could wax lyrical for hours on the best flavors and the best places. Needless to say he concurs that the best places are found on little neighbourhood streets and one of his recommendations is Tinos , 2 blocks from my house, near parque centennario, on diaz velez and rio de janeiro....their banana dolca is to me horrific but to that generation of kids who grew up eating banana dolcas this flavor is addictive.
I think they are about to publish (or have already) a similar book on parillas and win merchants...all the discerning expat needs really!

Finally, a new great heladeria opened up in Palermo Nuevo at the corner of Juncal y Oro in a video club/book store. It is called MY PLACE and they have really great flavors. Strongly recommend if you live in that area.

My favorite is an heladeria that makes italian style icecream. The icecream is a bit lighter and very natural.(very different from others) It is on av. Santa Fe on the left side in opposite to garden botanico. I don´t know the name, but it is easy to find. It does not look so stylish, but it is very good. 250g cost 18 pesos.

Back