helados artesanales

Inexpensive family owned Nonna Bianca in San Telmo on Estados Unidos 425 (betw Defensa and Bolivar) is my favorite ice-cream spot. Their specialty is homemade Italian-style gelato. There is about 80 flavors on offer, some of them quite exotic like kumquats soaked in whiskey! They are open every day till late and serve coffee, milkshakes, pastries, quiches and other snacks besides the ice cream.

I have to disagree with the neighborhood ice cream recommendation – the ice cream is generally awful (like ordering pasta in a parilla here). Scanapieco is now closed. The ambience was fantastic; the ice cream, however, was shamefully bad. So far none of the small places I've been to can hold a candle to Volta. I'll try Tino again, though, since a few people recommend it, and Jauja looks promising.

Nonna Bianca in San Telmo is one of the few places with yerba mate ice cream that I've seen; it's pretty good, very similar to green tea ice cream.

nikad said:
Emede 1952, Larrea 1535, Recoleta
Cadore, Corrientes y Rodríguez Peña
Tino http://www.tinohelados.com.ar/
El Piave http://www.heladeriaselpiave.com
Monte Olivia. Fernandez de Enciso 3999
Diecci. Chivilcoy 3405
El Ciervo. Rivadavia 10300
Brezza. Emilio Castro 7401
Rimini. Nazca 2399
Via Varese. Cabildo y Juana de Zurduy
Scanapieco, Córdoba al 4800
Palmeiras, José Bonifacio y Pedernera
Saverio, San Juan al 2800
Luca, Rivera y Naón

It's just like with the pizza, you have to do your own experimenting.
I was staying in Palermo H this past summer, and found a corner place, not at all upscale, that had what I thought was great Italian-style pizza: yeah, I'm from NYC originally, so you can figure what I like. The fellow who ran the local ice cream place was a nice guy, but I didn't have the heart to tell him his stuff was awful. I had to walk 1km each way for helados.
And then there is always the sucker's bet that if you pay more you'll get a better product. The world artesanal is used all too loosely. Never tried Freddo's or the other shiny overpriced places myself, I suspect part of the success of these places is to show the world you're eating a 30 peso ice cream cone. Mimo's (see first post) makes his own helados on site. It's out of the way but IMO worth the trip, too bad the subte stops running so early.
I'm not in BsAs right now, so I don't know his winter hours, or if he closes down for a few weeks during the cold season.

In my experience the best icecream parlors are the ones that don't say artesanal.They just do it that way because it is the only way to do it. Same goes for panaderias .
It is not something you come across very often in Europe or US now as we are used to shopping by brand.
What I mean to say is give the unknown heladeria a try ,the one that does not have a website.

Back