Hello My husband and 2 boys ages 11 and 9 will be moving to BA in Oct.

If the apartment is 1/2 block from Av. Santa Fe it is really not very close to La Isla or Village Recoleta. If the closest subte station is Pueyrreudon then it is very close to Recoleta and (fortunately) wouldn't be between Marcelo Alvear and Paraguay. If the closest subte station is Aguero it is in the section of Palermo often referred to as Barrio Norte and it's about six blocks to Alto Palermo shopping.

I have walked all around this area hundreds of times. I think the area around the subte station Aguero is very nice. It is a bit quieter than the area around the station Pueyrredon, but both are decent places to live, especially if you are at least 1/2 block off Santa Fe.

I think being close to la Isla (which is much closer to Village Recoleta) isn't very desirable for two reasons: It is too "isolated" at night and too far from the subte to walk unless it is daytime and the weather is good. You should be glad this is an exaggeration by the landlord but also more cautious as there could be other misrepresentations about the apartment.

If you can post the name of the street where apartment is located it will help us give you the best advise.

glasgowjohn said:
I think la Isla is in Recoleta

lMy better half says it is the area between Avenidas Las Heras, Libertador, Pueyrredon and calle Agüero

Thanks glasglowjohn - I've lived here 4 years and never heard that term before. Learn something new every day!

Walking to and from la Isla to Village is fine during the day, but the "back side" of cemetery Recoleta should be avoided late at night. There are telos and sex clubs across the street and in the area near Vincente Lopez and Azcuenaga.

I wouldn't send my kids to school here for 2 months unless they already speak Spanish. It took my kids a lot longer then 2 months to learn a bit of Spanish, as (at least in a bilingual school) the Argentines are (too) happy to practice their English. It is not easy to adapt, Argentine kids are not really waiting on foreigners to come to their class and "try to be one of them".
Also everything goes very slow in Argentina so by the time that everything is arranged well in school, the kids are going home again.

My kids school ends on dec 2, they start with exams the beginning of november. They have a lot of time off to study and a lot of classes are suspended or replaced with extra tutoring hours. It is not an ideal period to jump in a class.

I didn't think the uniform was expensive. They have lots of things, like 6 sports outfits, every day uniform, special occasion uniform etc, and I paid 150€ pp. Of course I calculate that as clothes for a whole year, and not for just 2 months. For 2 months it would be expensive.

Good luck in your search.

Hello Citygirl,

thank you for the info on La Isla, I don't mind walking a few blocks to a busy area just don't want to be more than 5 minutes walk to a busy area.

Shayla

Hi David,

I really appreciated your note to reassure me that I am not crazy for wanting to put my boys in a full time school. I really think that the best way to learn spanish is by being immersed in it and being forced to talk to your peers in Spanish. The schools that I am considering are half day spanish and half day english I believe but even if they are all spanish I think the boys would be just fine. They actually understand spanish as my mom speaks to them in spanish every day.

I could not find your previous post with school options can you resend it? Also, two schools that I have called and have said a tentative yes to enrolling my sons are Rio de Plata and Alethia both in the Recoleta/Barrio del Norte area.

Do you know anything about these schools?

Thank you so much,
Shayla

Hello everyone,

I have found a great apt. on Sante Fe Av. btwn Libertad and Talcahuano. Now I am looking for a school that is walking distance to this area.

Does anyone know of any schools in this area? Also, any comments on teh area, the apt/townhouse looks awesome.

Thank you.
Shayla

Back