Hello-New Arrival, Renting in Suburban BA

dbraia

Registered
Hello Everyone,

It's great to be in BA and to join the expat community. I arrived here less than a month ago from Montreal, Canada. I will be staying here for a year as a start. I stayed 10 days in a cheap hostel in San Telmo while I went through the apartment search. I decided to rent in Congresso as of two weeks now. However, the cost of the apartment is too high for me and the fridge, internet and toilet don't work well. I don't mind commuting so could anyone kindly suggest where I should look for houses/places in the suburbs and if these can be rented short-term (6-9 months).?

I heard that if you take a 50 mins train from BA, you can rent a 3 bedroom house with garden, terrace and parrilla for about 700 pesos a month without utilities. Is this realistic? And if so, what extra expenses should I factor in, (I also heard that the monthly train pass is 50 pesos a month).

Milles merci!

hi, I have friends (locals) who live in hurlingham, san isidro, martinez and olivos, and they are all paying alot less than downtown.. 2 bed apartment for around US$400 a month in Martinez (furnished), and around US$300 in hurlingham for 3 bedroom.
Hurlingham is about 45mins to retrio, and San Isidro is about 30, with martinez and olivos closer still..
Hope this is of help. I have been thinking of moving out of city centre too, i live in palermo, and am over the crowds and traffic, and for the cost of my studio here i could get alot better place along the river..

Great info, thanks! Let me know if you want to go apartment hunting together. I am planning to move Nov 1st or Dec 1st.

dbraia said:
Hello Everyone,

I don't mind commuting so could anyone kindly suggest where I should look for houses/places in the suburbs and if these can be rented short-term (6-9 months).?

I heard that if you take a 50 mins train from BA, you can rent a 3 bedroom house with garden, terrace and parrilla for about 700 pesos a month without utilities. Is this realistic? And if so, what extra expenses should I factor in, (I also heard that the monthly train pass is 50 pesos a month).

Milles merci!

The estimate you got is way out of line. That´s what the rents were in 2002, just after the major crisis.

For a small unfurnished, 3 bedroom HOUSE, as you suggest, w/garden, terrace, parrilla and NO pool, expect anything between $800-$1200 USD, depending on size and location. An apt would be somewhat less but you have to pay "expensas" with eliminates most of the advantage. People choose apartments mostly for security reasons more than for price.

Most expats prefer to rent in Zona Norte, which is served by 2 train lines: both originate in Retiro, the cheaper more popular line goes straight to Tigre, while the other even simpler line (no heat-A/C, smaller, less-frequent trains) requires a transfer midway at Olivos to continue on to Tigre. That 3rd train is quite pricey and is mainly used by tourists.

Hurlingham is considered way out for most expats and even locals. So logically it will be much cheaper. If you don´t expect to meet and befriend many expats, than any suburb could suit you. But if you don´t want to be sorry to find out most of your new friends are between Vicente Lopez and San Isidro, you ought to consider this area.

BAJoe said:
The estimate you got is way out of line. That´s what the rents were in 2002, just after the major crisis.

For a small unfurnished, 3 bedroom HOUSE, as you suggest, w/garden, terrace, parrilla and NO pool, expect anything between $800-$1200 USD, depending on size and location. An apt would be somewhat less but you have to pay "expensas" with eliminates most of the advantage. People choose apartments mostly for security reasons more than for price.

Most expats prefer to rent in Zona Norte, which is served by 2 train lines: both originate in Retiro, the cheaper more popular line goes straight to Tigre, while the other even simpler line (no heat-A/C, smaller, less-frequent trains) requires a transfer midway at Olivos to continue on to Tigre. That 3rd train is quite pricey and is mainly used by tourists.

Hurlingham is considered way out for most expats and even locals. So logically it will be much cheaper. If you don´t expect to meet and befriend many expats, than any suburb could suit you. But if you don´t want to be sorry to find out most of your new friends are between Vicente Lopez and San Isidro, you ought to consider this area.

I think this is good advice, but in the end it depends on what you are looking for. If you plan on hanging out with other expats living in the city perhaps makes more sense. Out in the burbs 99% of the people are going to be Argentines. However if you want to practice or learn your Spanish living in an area where nothing but Spanish is spoken will improve your Spanish quicker than anything else you can do. Also if you want to experience the real Argentina living away from areas with lots of expats makes sense as well. My guess is you will want to make friends and socialize with other expats which would make living in the city a better choice for most.

And keep in mind that in many of the places, you will need a car. Or you may need to take cabs everywhere - to get to the stores, see friends, etc. Plus train fare (and depending on where you are, the train can be a bit sketchy).

Your price estimates are way off. 700 dollars is probably a more accurate assumption, esp if you are renting short-term (which means you need to rent a furnished apt). And that would probably be for a 1 or 2 br apt, certainly not a house.

Thanks so much for all the useful info and for bringing up valid points I did not consider. I am going apartment hunting this week and I think I will have a way better estimate of what the present market prices are in vivo.

Back