Help getting a UK spouse visa

Ashley

Registered
Hi everyone
I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who had successfully applied for a spouse visa to the UK and wouldn't mind me getting in contact with a few queries.
I have been married for two years (in a relationship for several more) to my Argentine husband and we're just looking to apply now. I'm trying to get all the paperwork in order but its very difficult to guess exactly what they're looking for...when the UK embassy refuses to talk to you about it until you submit your application!
One thing that I am a little worried about is the proof of English proficiency. My husband speaks english fluently (with barely a hint of accent). He has a bilingual high-school diploma and some igcse's that were taken in English. However, I checked the "accepted certifications" for proof of proficiency and neither of those things are listed. It's seems a little ridiculous that someone completely bilingual should have to go and take one of those courses.
Anyway, it would great to get in touch with someone who's been through it before - either via email or over a coffee.
Ashley x

While I personally have not gone through the process, reading UKBA reveals that they will only give your husband an exemption in three cases.

you are aged 65 or over when you make your application; or
you have a physical or mental condition which would prevent you from meeting the requirement; or
there are exceptional compassionate circumstances which would prevent you from meeting the requirement.

My wife is an EEA national and we went through the application process of getting me an EEA family permit to the UK (never went through with it fully but we had finished the application stage). The embassy staff is very unhelpful before you submit the application. I don't know why but that is the way it is.

I would really suggest your husband take an English test, and get it over with. If not, you can attach a waiver request explaining why your husband wouldn't need the proficiency test and then hope for the best. But this would be a gamble.

If you submit all your papers, legally the burden is on the UKBA to find fault with your application and if they can't find any decent reason, they are obliged to grant you a visa (terms might be different than those for EEA permits).

Sorry, I haven't applied for the Spouse visa and don't know much other than my experience with the EEA Family Permit and the UKBA website.

Back