Help...I Loathe Buenos Aires and I'm Stuck Here.

and the last thing BA needs is another bitching asshole

BAFinance said:
If you dislike life here so much, leave. The last thing BA needs is another bitching expat!

Hey, sounds like you need some cheering up rather than other people's opinions and advice.
I am in the situation you were in nine months ago, I am new in this city and pretty much on my own. I know how it feels - I suppose we all do!

It's big and scary. People may seem nasty and corrupt and cheating (and some of them are, I have been conned already) but beneath the surface, they can be warm, friendly and extremely hospitable. I was in a bar the other day where it was the owners birthday. It was just a few of us and his family. Without even asking they sent over cake, champagne, food etc. They just assumed that we would like to be part of the group, and we spent the night chatting, dancing and *ahem* flirting away... unbelievably friendly.
I have found this after one month of being here.

Where are you from? Is it big and scary like the city?
I'm from a town with a population of 20,000. Compared to the.. what? 12 million here?

My point is: if I can do it, then anyone can. Including you.
Keep your chin up, and if you fancy having a moan over a beer with another semi-disgruntled expat then drop me a line.
I'm British.... I'm a professional moaner.
Good luck,

Bullit19, I totally agree with what you wrote. I honestly think that BA is one of the most boring cities on Earth. I don't think that there is a complimentary word to describe a Porteno. I've lived in BA for quite a few years without a DNI. Thankfully, I have to leave every 90 days. If I didn't leave I wouldn't know that people were capable of smiling ! I am now in Helsinki, Finland. What a great city with really nice people. No, for me it's not affordable. BA is still very affordable. Bummer.

I've been here for about six years, although not in the city.
I know the city quite well, but couldn't live there. Horses for courses really.
Maybe it's loneliness??
Most importantly, attitude is everything.
We all have days when things seem dark and foreboding and the end result is that everything else seems bad and we hate the rest of the world. Been there, done that.
But then most days i get up, jump on my bike, meet ordinary people and see their kindness and it puts a spring in my step.
Know what I'm saying?
I think you should come back and tell us how you feel now?

Bullit19,
“does this city have anything to offer other than the superficial? You know...the restaurants, clubs, stores, and trinket fairs? Anything relevant? Tango? Really?”

How about taking photos of every single thing you don't like or detest about BA - really good photos over time? Say, for 2 hours a day? This might help you to identify what it is you like about those other cities that appealed to you and that are missing in BA. Or get some value, at least, by expressing your depression in some positive and material form that you might perhaps later feel like sharing with locals and expats.

You could couple this with meeting up with “The English Group of Buenos Aires” – Friday nights, 8-10pm, Fame Coffee Shop atCabildo 2921 (Belgrano), subte: Congreso du Tucuman. This has been run by portenos to practise their English for about 10 years now. Visitors and expats of every age and occupation (and non-occupation!) from around the world come here and talk about anything they wish or just listen. Lots of jokes. Good way to find out what’s going on in music too.

I always meet up with them in BA. (God, the things I’ve told them about my life that I’d not previously told anyone!) Sometimes everyone goes to a super-cheap parilla afterwards but you don't have to. The porteno regulars are Marta, Gonzalo, Andrea + others whose names I regret forgetting. About 8-20 people including foreigners sit at one long table halfway down the long restaurant. Just walk in. You’ll see it. Sometimes people don’t arrive until 8:30. There are hundreds of porteno members so every Friday is different. Good conversation- politics isn’t taboo here either. You could even show them your photos. All you need to do is buy is a Coke for yourself and NOT speak Spanish for 2 hours. That’s the only rule.

You can contact them here:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=172557139463199

As someone suggested leave the city. Go on a weekend break to another town or the country. Whenever I leave Buenos Aires, I am always amazed by how nice Argentina and non-porteños can be (not that porteños aren't nice). Living in cities is hard, living in foreign cities can be harder. But really you don't have that much longer here.

Moonwitch said:
As someone suggested leave the city. Go on a weekend break to another town or the country. Whenever I leave Buenos Aires, I am always amazed by how nice Argentina and non-porteños can be (not that porteños aren't nice). Living in cities is hard, living in foreign cities can be harder. But really you don't have that much longer here.

I've been to Mendoza province and i wonder why would anyone want to live in BA instead of Mendoza...
I love those country side so much...

Quite obviously the OP was a troll with just one post and no replies to our concern.There is absolutely no reason not to find something positive in Buenos Aires .

Life is your invention for good or bad and we all have choices.

Back