Help: Need Advice On How To Get My Salary

If you haven't got residency you can't pay tax. I would ask some serious questions about where your 'tax money' is going!

Hi all-

One more clarification - sorry for the confusion. I AM a resident of Argentina. I am married to an Argentine citizen and therefore have been a permanent resident for several years now.

My understanding of why my organization decided to go through a third-party vendor is because I am the only employee on the ground here in Argentina, and it was far too complicated to set up a legal entity of this organization in Argentina for only one employee. So, they decided to go the third-party employer route. (Which if anyone thinks that my organization made a mistake or is doing something illegal/wrong by going that way, please feel free to share that information with me so that I can also pass this information along to them).

Thank you everyone for your continued help.

The problem is that you are paying taxes on a salary that doesn´t "exist" in Argentina--the third party company should pay you your Argentine salary and you should pay taxes to the Afip for that. Your US employer should pay you a salary in the US and you should pay the IRS taxes on that. If they are hiring a third party, you have two different employers.

I am hired by a U.S. organization who has hired a third-party vendor to pay my salary here in Argentina, since the U.S. organization does not have a legal entity here in Argentina. The U.S. organization essentially deposits my salary in the third-party vendor's account each month, and then this third-party vendor pays me.

That's why they want you to get your full salary here. They are receiving USD dollars and giving you pesos. They are making an extra profit on you.

I pay Argentines taxes and declare my full salary to AFIP.

AFIP doesn't care if you are earning money in US, they don't have a way to check this and they don't have the authority to do anything. The only contract that is valid here.. is with the employer in argentina., What matters to the argentinian law is what they are paying you each month. If they are paying you 1,000, 2,000 or 7,000 ARS, they will substract your taxes from here calculating the amount that you are receiving. They can't make you pay more or less taxes based on what you MAY be earning in another country. I don't think they have declared here your FULL salary.

The arrangement up until now is that my U.S. organization would only send a portion of my salary to the third-party vendor to pay me here in Argentina, and would send the rest to my U.S. account in the States (as well as send some of the money to my retirement account, etc.). So, a portion of my salary never ever enters Argentina, though it is declared to the AFIP that I am being paid that full amount.

This is interesting.. I mean, I don't see how they can legally tell AFIP that they are going to pay you for example 5,000 USD and then pay you less. It doesn't really work like that. If you have an account with AFIP (link) you can check that yourself. There is a link called Trabajo en Blanco, and it there it lists your current and past job (screenshot). You should see something like this after clicking one (another screenshot). I'm pretty sure that the amount is below what they are sending each month, not the full amount. You should see that in your pay stub too, the declared salary. Do you see anywhere in the papers that you signed in argentina the full USD amount? I mean, the ones related to AFIP.

This is what your employeer told AFIP that they were going to pay you (originally when you came here). Now.. there isn't a relationship between your US job and your Argentina job (there probably is one between them, but it doesn't work like they are telling you), so they don't have any sort of legal excuse to ask you to receive here the full amount. They are only doing this to gain more dollars from you. At least, I believe that and I may be wrong.

The third-party vendor is now saying that my U.S. organization cannot do that - that they have to send my full salary to Argentina and that I have to receive my full payment in pesos.

For reasons that do not come into play here, I like to advice people regarding labor conditions. I usually read the LCT (Labor-contract law) and there isn't anything about that. It doesn't make any sense.

All of your responses have been very helpful. Can anyone confirm if what the third-party vendor is telling me is true? Do I HAVE to receive my full salary here in Argentina? Or if this third-party vendor has an account in the U.S. anyway, couldn't they just deposit part of my salary in my account in the U.S?

Without more information from the employer (they never gave anything that we can check other than their requirement).. I can't be sure, but my opinion is that what they say doesn't make sense and they are ripping you off now.. and they want more. Important.. If you are married to someone in argentina and you are legally here (ie, dont need a work visa to stay in the country).. you dont need to have a job. Ask your US employer to stop sending money here. You can even open a bank account here and send yourself the dollars with a wire transfer, or withdrawn them in Uruguay, use xoom or withdraw pesos with your debit card at the official rate. You are probably losing more with them in the middle and from what you posted, there isn't any reason for you to be hired here with an argentinian company.

I hope that helps :)

PD: Sorry for the long post.

My honest advice - skip getting paid here all-together. Just have them pay you in the US and send yourself money via xoom or write yourself a check and cash it at a cueva every month or two. It's going to be a lot easier.

You have to be paid in pesos here in ARgentina so I'm guessing the 3rd party is between a rock and a hard place since you have declared your salary to be x but you are only receiving 50% of X in pesos here in Arg. So there is a discrepancy and it may be causing them some issues.

Like I said, I don't know of any companies who have done it the way your company has chosen to do it and I think it's going to cause more complications than it's worth at the end of the day - what a pain doing taxes especially!

Back