Help - Rentista Visa - 8000 Peso/month

I "second" that you should use a lawyer! I can also reccomend the one I use who speaks fluent fEnglish, is very responsive, and who's firm specializes in this. Just PM me and I can give you his contact info if you want.
I believe international tax law prevents double jeopardy ; if you are already paying taxes in one country on something you can not be taxed on the same thing in another. But I'm not a lawyer-- just got this info from someone who is both a CPA and a tax attorney. Finally I have the income deposited in the US, not here. But I have an account with the same bank here, so that seemed to be ok. The general sentiment in Argentina seems to be the less the govt knows about your assets ANYWHERE the better...this may be paranoia, but given what we have been able to observe, better safe than sorry! Nonetheless I pay all the appropriate taxes on my apartment that I own and live in here. I do believe getting residency is the best thing for you if you are planning to stay for at least a couple of years!

Thank you PaulZ, that answered my curisosity.

TomAtAlki, what percentage is that roughly ? Then I'll have to pay a montly tax or a yearly tax to AFIP?
It would be deducted directly from my bank account here or a credit card? (read something about paying tax by credit card somewhere)

nice to hear that Lacoqueta, i'm going to pm you for the info about the lawyer that you would recommend.

Depending on how long have you been in argentina you might qualify for applying for citizenship straigh forward.

Good luck,I had four years of hassle and shit from migraciones before I got my P/R and DNI.Do you really need to have a P/R?
I had to show that money was transferred from my account abroad to argeiland every month,for what it' worth but may have changed since my time.

It is really pretty much the luck of the draw as to who you get at Migraciones and what mood they are in that day.

I got the inicial rentista visa in the U.S. At the first renewal the woman didn't like it that I only had an account with the commercial finance house where I brought the money in, legally, to buy an apartment. But ultimately, she said that if I opened an account with a regular bank she would give me the extension, but the coming year I needed to bring in the money through the account. I had a DNI and a CDI so I opened an account at Santander and she gave me the renweal. At the bank, I asked how to fund it from the U.S. The Santander guy said, "It's basically impossible. You need to bring pesos and deposit them." I did that periodically, but not monthly, throughout the year and I got hooked on their online bill pay so when the next renewal came around, I had this bank statement with all kinds of transaction, but none of them was money entering from abroad. When I want back for the next renewal, they asked for the bank statement, I handed it over, and all was fine, I got the renewal in about 10 minutes.

I also have a visa rentista and did not use a lawyer. As long as you show the paperwork that is listed on the migraciones website it should not be too difficult. For the first application they don't expect you to have a local bank account as you can't open one without a DNI. They did tell me however that in order to renew my visa I would have to have a bank account and it had to show the 8000 monthly deposits. However, any money you receive from abroad which is transferred into your account shows up as 'deposit', the same as a deposit you make yourself i.e. to renew your visa you don't need to show that the money was actually sent from abroad as long as you can show a monthly deposit of 8000. I have renewed my visa twice now showing bank statements of only the last 4 months before renewing it and no questions were ever asked.

Florence, was it difficult for you to get the initial Rentista Visa in the US?

Monique, congratulation on for your case that you successfully did it by yourself. So how did you present your 8000 perso for your initial Rentista visa application considering that you wouldn't have a local bank account to start up with? Good tip about the indifference of the 'deposit' and the 'internatiaonal transfer in' of the local bank statement.

Monique, Thanks. That was a very helpful tip about how the deposits show up in the account. I am feeling safer about getting the permanent extension next time.

Paul, I also have done it all myself without a lawyer. To start the process in the U.S., just go to the website of, or call, the consulate that covers your home area and do exactly what they say. You may get a few runarounds and conflicting directions from them, but at least you will be dealing with someone whose job requires them to speak English.

Back