Help save the local merchant in Capital Federal

jasiano

Registered
Just like in the States, big box stores are threatening the heart of the urban neighborhood, the local shopkeeper. Some of the best independent merchants are still plying the world-style can be found on every block of Barrio Norte, Palermo, Recoleta, Microcentro, Balvanera, Montserrat, and San Telmo,
Additionally, some of the best eateries in Capital exist well outside the Guia Oleo directory where tradition, ambience and authenticity cannot be measured stars or numbers.
After my stint as an ex-pat in Argentina (2002-07), I helped conceive a mobile app for Apple and Android phones to support the global call to ‘Shop Locally”. We created our mobile platform, Taptin, in Berkeley and we are presently rolling it out in Asia and Latin America’s largest urban areas.
The Mi Buenos Aires App will be launched at the end of April and I want to put your favorite shops and restos in a GPS directory for Portenos and Tourists alike. Already, the mobile directory has over 1,700 businesses representing each of the barrios mentioned above. So, even better would be any digital fotos of storefronts or the merchants themselves to enhance each their listings. Your shops and/or fotos will be there for all to see, as the Mi Buenos Aires App will be free to both users and merchants. Your best shots of city scenery will also be accepted and attached to each landmark-attraction.
Please send your content to [email protected] and I will be sure to get your favorites onto the Earth’s 100 million iPhones, iPod Touches, and Android phones.
BTW, will be in Argentina from April 8 to the 24th snapping fotos of my own and re-introducing myself to the local businesses around the city.
Saludos,
Jim Asiano
Twitter: @mibsasapp

Congratulations! Thats a very cool idea. How do i know I dont repeat the info I might provide?

Thanks for the response. Just send along any suggestions as I have a section in each merchant listing that allows for some additional details about the business.
Jim

jasiano said:
Just like in the States, big box stores are threatening the heart of the urban neighborhood, the local shopkeeper.
Saludos,
Jim Asiano
Twitter: @mibsasapp

I disagree. It's not "Just like in the States." I welcome the "big box stores,' to threaten the heart of this barrio. But, good luck with your project.

Big-box-stores hollow out inner city areas by undercutting local businesses until they are driven out of business, then raising prices and cutting choice. In the US Starbucks is a notorious example of a company that has expanded by buying out local coffee roasters, firing the staff closing the plants, then cutting the quality of the product. Large global stores here are doing the same. I saw a giant McDonald's in San Isidro a couple of days ago, surrounded by an area of closed down cafes and other stores.

Back