Help with floors!

markbsas

Registered
New baby is on the way so we are in desperate need of help with floors in the house we are renting.

We have 2 wood floors that really need work. One is completely shot, and either needs to be replaced or somehow covered, maybe piso flotante(?). The other isn't in too bad shape but needs to be cleaned and somehow sealed, or covered. Landlord is not going to do this so we’ll have to pay for it ourselves. i.e. whatever the cheapest and easiest.

In addition, I want to have all the floors (brick and tile), baseboards, etc in the house super cleaned, however they do that here.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or recommendations on someone reliable and affordable to do this type of work?

Thank you!
Mark

You cannot go wrong with laying a thick coat of polyurathane over almost any surface. It will completely eliminate splinters, cracks, etc... and it is very easy to clean and safe for the baby. I would suggest a hearty cleaning of the floor. A coat of wood stain, and a very thick coat of polyurathane. Always works.

Just be sure to have TONS of ventilation if you do the polyurathane...it is so toxic...we had our floors done and we had to leave the house for a full day to let it dry and frankly it took at the very least 3 days for the fumes to go away.

I don't have the names of the people or would pass it on...sorry!

Best of luck!!

EvergreenGal said:
Just be sure to have TONS of ventilation if you do the polyurathane...it is so toxic...we had our floors done and we had to leave the house for a full day to let it dry and frankly it took at the very least 3 days for the fumes to go away.

I don't have the names of the people or would pass it on...sorry!

Best of luck!!

Agreed, Toxic fumes, but once it's dry, it's safe.

I can`t believe the owner is not doing this I have a flat that is rented from 2001 and every time there is a problem I go running, I send the painter, I change the gas heater, I do all the things Iam supposed to to and my flat is not the most expensives! Iam a local
all the best
Reina

You should tell the landlord you are doing it and sharing half the cost with him-her, which you will deduct from the following rent where you will provide them will the receipt for the work. I´am a landlord here and I always have accepted (FULL) payment for many improvements suggested by my tenants.

About the "plastificado" of the floors, if you use the toxic version (polyurethane) YOU NEED TO STAY AWAY 3 FULL DAYS before you can even step on it. They need to apply 3 coats, 1 a day, plus it takes 3 more days to eliminate the toxic fumes: VERY DANGEROUS for a pregnent woman or a baby.

You should do the CHEAPER, SAFER and FASTER "Hidro-laqueado" which is water-based and NON-TOXIC. Dries faster and is environmentally safe!!

Yes, we're really disappointed in our landlord. Nice lady and all that but dang. It took her 2 months to finally get some guy to come by and "fix" some things that were broken etc. Of course the guy was pretty much a bozo and things were not quite fixed properly.

This is a nice old house but it needs a lot of work. Unfortunately the landlord is just not interested in doing anything at all. i.e. she doesn't think the bedroom needs a new floor. Uh... yes it does... it is completely destroyed and rotting.

Problem was that I did not come down to BsAs until after my wife had rented the place. She had so much on her mind with pregnancy and really just felt lucky to have found the place so she did not make sure this was committed to before signing lease.

I'm probably going to have pisos flotante installed because one of the floors is SO gone. Then I'll send before and after pictures with an invoice to the landlord. I don't expect that she will do anything but it couldn't hurt.

Thanks
Mark

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 0
pmacay Expat Life 0
Back