Help with gas shower heater + crazy roommate

Hey Lauren,

So this is point where you post the name of the former roommate and address of the apartment to prevent other victims, if you feel comfortable with that. This is especially useful if she advertises the room in forums known to be used by foreigners.

I had my Budapest flat (I mean, not mine, the one I was renting when I lived in BP) and entire building burn due to a gas leak. Luckily, no victims, just major damage.. Friend's father died this way

Turn gas off if not using it, no exception!

Have your gas installation regularly checked and maintained

Lots of Buenos Aires flats and homes got awful installations, gas, water, electricity. Namely south of Rivadavia Avenue. San Telmo is terrible about it!

Lauren, I'm glad you got it to work. Now these "environmently friendly water heaters are showing up in the USA. On a "demand" type (not thermotanque) it is wise to shut down the gas at the "tecla" valve, usually by rotating it a quarter turn, just like the stove, when you are leaving the apartment. I usually find it convenient to keep it on when I am home. To light it can be time consuming. There is a long button at the bottom that you must depress and hold so that the pilot light will have a gas supply. You have to keep holding this down for a period of time or the pilot will go out. There is a thermocouple over the pilot that when heated enough (15 seconds to a minute) you can release the button. The four buttons above this are to regulate the temperature, left is luke warm, right is steaming hot, and the other two are medium to hot. When showering I like the steaming hot right button.

Back