Help with WiFi problem

mtk72

Registered
Hola

I am unable to connect to WiFi even when I have the correct security key. I get the message that I failed to obtain an IP address. This happens not only with my laptop but also my Blackberry from the UK, which is unlocked and using a Personal sim card.

Nobody else in the house I am staying in seems to be having any issues connecting to WiFi via their laptops or phones; any ideas on what I am doing wrong and how to solve the problem?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

It is possible that your router has a list o MAC addresses - a list of ids of physical network cards - that are allowed to connect to it.

And MAC addresses of people who already live in the house are on this list, but addresses of your laptop and blackberry card are not there.

It is a security setting that is changed from router configuration. Normally there is some kind of a web interface to configure the router. But if the router belongs to your internet provider, only the provider can configure it.

Sounds right to me - access the router via its web interface and look for a section in the configuration that is about access control - and if there is a list of allowed mac addresses just type in the mac address for each of the devices you want to connect...

IF you still get problems connecting CHECK your network settings on your device (laptop or whatever) - you need to have it configured for dynamically assigned IP and DNS - this is the way most routers work - they ''push'' these settings to your device...

IF for example you had a laptop set up previously on another network which had static IP and DNS settings - and if those settings are still in there - then you will find your connection will not work...

Check under network conenction status - and then under properties - then under internet protocol version 4 - and check the settings for IP and for DNS...

Hope this helps...

Its a LONG time since I did IT support - I'm pretty rusty :) lol

John.

Just wanted to add this:

My Fibertel network at home only allows a maximum of 7 devices connected on the network. Depending on how many people live in your house, and how many devices they have connected, you may be out of luck.

Vasco said:
Just wanted to add this:

My Fibertel network at home only allows a maximum of 7 devices connected on the network. Depending on how many people live in your house, and how many devices they have connected, you may be out of luck.

...and then add in the neighbours' computers too. Does nobody secure their wi-fi in Bs As?

Back