Helpful Tip: Success At Int'l Correo Today

4 months later and I've not heard a peep from Correo about my package of tea from the UK valued well under $25. The British Corner Shop who I ordered it from very generously refunded me every penny without any hesitation so I won't be taking advantage of their kindness again as it wouldn't be fair ordering something I know won't arrive.
Seems to me if you don't have a tracking number you're wasting your time. I have been told using the DHL express service is the way to do it but as it costs and arm and a leg it's pretty much useless for items of low value plus if you're a foreigner not registered with AFIP you have to go through hoops anyway. It's a sad state of affairs as it means I can't receive goodies from friends and family.
I'm getting in touch with the Court of Human Rights to see if I'm a victim. :D

Over 10 months since the British Corner Shop dispatched my tiny order of loose tea from Britain and guess what? I received a telegram from Correo instructing me to drop everything and hastily make my way to an office in Buenos Aires (a 6 hour return journey by bus) to collect my small parcel but not before handing over 120 pesos first. I thought the wife was playing a joke on me but no it's true. I had to laugh but this just exemplifies all that is wrong with this country.No wonder we're going to bail out of here asap.

Just a quick update.
I was able to get a clave fiscal at AFIP main office in Plaza de Mayo (better than going to Boulogne!). You can do a walk-in or book an appointment (not for the same day, usually for the next one). There was no line, it was very smooth. They just asked for my DNI and a photocopy of it. They took a scan of it anyway... I left my index fingerprints on a scanner, the lady took a picture of me with a webcam, gave me my temporary password (which is the same for anybody: afip2017 --- this so much reminds me of the Cristina's password breach! :rolleyes: ).

Came home, went online on AFIP website (btw, it doesn't work with Safari!), made my declaration picking a random category (as "personal letter" was not among them) and saying I had nothing to pay. Then paid 120 ARS to Correo.

And now I am waiting for my mail to be released for door-to-door delivery. On the Correo website it shows I paid their 120 ARS fee but they are waiting for the go ahead from AFIP.

Note: on AFIP website, in your declaration you can either state you know the content of the shipping and proceed with the declaration and get the mail delivered to your home, or you can say you don't know what's inside, in which case they will inspect the package and determine their fee and you will have to go pick it up (no door-to-door delivery in this case).

In any case, a total nightmare.

Back