here on british passport - mother argentine - citizenship or residency?

diosaarenosa

Registered
i want to get the ball rolling on getting permanent residency here.
i have my criminal reports and birth certificate apostilled. i know i need to get a copy of my mother's birth certificate in order to get the process going, and will have to get my various english documents translated into spanish by a public translator. so far so good. however, i am on an expired tourist visa. i return to the UK for a short holiday in february. do i need to process citizenship first, apply for a DNI or go straight for residency/passport? it's all a bit confusing when i look at the official government website. i can't find the answers to my questions. any help from you knowledgeable lot gratefully received. also, if anyone has any idea of costs for the various documents/processes.

thanks!

Go to immigration, with a live translator if needed, and get your answers from a person there. Take names of you spoke to, and request that they put it in writing for you.

If you can get your mother's birth certificate and DNI together now and book yourself a turno at immigrations before going back to the UK in Feb (they usually give them out a month in advance)...you'd be better off. If your documents are in order they should give you a "residencia precaria" on the day, irrespective of whether your tourist visa has expired or not.
If you return to the UK before that, you will invalidate your UK police check form and will have to order a new one when you leave (to prove that you didn't go on a crime rampage in February)...I made that mistake and it held up the whole process for about 3 months.
Translations cost about 130 pesos per document (including the apostilles) + 40 pesos legalisation fee. Immigrations charge 600 pesos for the visa.

WelcomeMendoza said:
Go to immigration, with a live translator if needed, and get your answers from a person there. Take names of you spoke to, and request that they put it in writing for you.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

They have no idea.

Residencia and citizenship have no relationship. They are in parallel.
Applying for citizenship is simpler, the judge has to do the research, look for the birth certificate and the papers you don´t need to be translated and you don´t need the criminal records. The judge has to ask for your records to INTERPOL.
In 90 days you should have your carta de ciudadanía.
You can have dual citizenship.
You do this before a federal judge.
You are argentinian here and british there, so you are always protected if there is a new conflict.
If you want further info send me a pm.

Residency is very bureaucratic.

Regards

diosaarenosa said:
i want to get the ball rolling on getting permanent residency here. do i need to process citizenship first, apply for a DNI or go straight for residency/passport?

Once you get citizenship you will then get a DNI and become eligible for an Argentine passport. As a citizen, you won't need to apply for permanent residency. I don't think a permanent resident can get Argentine passport until/unless they obtain citizenship.

diosaarenosa said:
also, if anyone has any idea of costs for the various documents/processes.

Getting citizenship will be much cheaper than permanent residency. If you Spanish is good you should be able to do this on your own. A lawyer is not required. If you need someone to go with you to translate I can recommend the woman who went to migraciones with me. She will charge much less than a lawyer.

If you apply for permanent residency instead of citizenship, keep in mind that unless you submit the criminal report to migraciones before your trip in February, they will require a new report after your return and the report must be less than six months old when you do submit it.

I think Bajo_cero2's advice is very good. He has provided a great deal of information on this subject. If you click on his user name and then "statisticis" you can read a lot more.

Back