Hi, Everyone! Hola!

mixiekins

Registered
Hey, guys! :D Just thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm Cari, from the USA. I've been lurking for a bit, and researching various means to work in Argentina while studying Spanish through an immersion course. I've wanted to try doing this for some time, but felt like I had too many obligations here in Austin Texas, like my job, that would prevent me from traveling for an prolonged period. Well, live gave me some lemons recently, so I'm here to make some lemonade! I'm going to try my best to take advantage of my current joblessness and savings to hop on down to good old Argentina!

I've only spent a little time passing through Buenos Aries going between Ezeiza and Aeroparque, so I'm not terribly familiar with the city proper. I spent most of my time to date down in the Neuquen province visiting Neuquen Capital and Villa la Angostura. I'm gonna hop on over and check out the job and apartment prospects on this forum. Hopefully if I can find viable work, I'll be able to arrange a long term stay there. I've already been looking into the possibilities of being an Au Pair, or perhaps going back into another IT job since I've got ~6 years of experience doing that.

Anyway, how's everyone doing this morning? :)

Welcome and lemonade is my favorite drink! Don't plan on finding much work and realize that pay here is about minimum wage level in the US . I don't know if things are different for au paires or not . Jobs are not a realistic alternative without a minimum of fluency. Porteños speak very fast and their own type of Spanish. However it is WONDERFUL to have the time available to live and earn in another country and you'll find the Argentines a very warm and friendly bunch. Just assume that you'll have little or no income and know that your savings will need to keep you afloat while here. BRING your US dollars, preferably in $100 bills in mint condition and change them on the black market (cuevas). Lots of threads on this here. Once here you won't be able to access your US money without losing of its value. So bring it well hidden!

Not sure what your IT background is, but you might consider looking for remote IT work from the US while you get your Spanish in order - which, as lacoqueta says, is essential for getting a job here.

Good luck!

Hi All,

I am Abhishek from India, I am here at Buenos Aires for 3 months until December 1st week. I just got to know about this website so I thought of joining this forum to introduce myself to loads of people of same mindset.

I am looking for people (English speaking) to spend some time with...I live in Palermo Soho neighbourhood.... I like running, partying and sightseeing.. Please get in touch...

Abhishek

Back