Hi

Malteser

Registered
Hi, I'm a 25 year old male from Malta (small island in the Mediterranean in Europe)! I will be visiting Buenos Aires for a couple of weeks on work/holiday.

I have found some difficulty trying to exchange Euros to Argentinian Pesos (ARS) here...there seem to be none available from banks or exchange bureaus on the island. However, I've been told that I should have no problems with USD or even Euros in Buenos Aires. However, would you suggest somewhere safe to exchange Euros or USD to ARS (possibly at EZE airport so I could do that upon my arrival)? Or should I just use USD / Euros while there...is there a risk of being overcharged that way?

Thanks.

Regards from Malta,
Owen

Foreign exchange is free here, and you can change some USD or EU at the Ezeiza airport.
Once in Buenos Aires there are many money exchange business, banks,etc; that will change USD or Eu, no problem(just in case, do not carry large amounts with you at any one time, pay the hotel first, leave yor money in a hotel safe box, and exchange every time you need to do it). Many business will accept USD or EU too, no exchange necessary.
Good Luck Henry

If you have an atm card/bank account..I would recommend you just withdraw money that way...when you get here. Definitely do not change money at the airport..they give a lousy exchange rate

Cheers guys, thanks a lot for your quick replies and recommendations! I will take note! One other thing ... would most people understand/speak English (or perhaps Italian) enough for proper conversation in Buenos Aires?

Glad you liked Bugibba BHNCA, what about the rest of the island...how did you find the place in general? Where you over here recently?

Malteser said:
Cheers guys, thanks a lot for your quick replies and recommendations! I will take note! One other thing ... would most people understand/speak English (or perhaps Italian) enough for proper conversation in Buenos Aires?

Welcome here, and an advance welcome to BsAs. Whilst English is understood by some, it is not as common as certain guide books would make you think. As for conversations in English, with locals, it all depends where you will be staying, and where you go. I arrived here with next to no Spanish, and found it difficult at first, despite having an Argentine gf. As for Italian, I doubt you would find many Italian speakers under middle age, but that is only my own thoughts from the Argentines I know with Italian ancestry, none of whom can speak the language of their forefathers, I'm sure there are some that do.

Again, as others have said, ATM cards are the best way to get money in pesos, and allow you to have only what you need with you at any one time. And definitely don't exchange at the airport, as cbphoto says, the exchange rate is terrible, or if you need a few pesos, only exchange a small amount to get you into the city.

Have fun while you are here....

Malteser said:

Glad you liked Bugibba BHNCA, what about the rest of the island...how did you find the place in general? Where you over here recently?
I stayed in Bugibba and went to St.Pauls Bay? it was very tranquilIt was about 12 years ago when I was living in England:rolleyes:

Banco Nacion at EZE has actually some of the best exchange rates in town:) Enjoy your trip!

Hi & Welcome. We spent a week in Malta several years ago. We had a great time even though it was Nov & the weather was not great.

Anyway, you have some good answers so far. You can use your ATM card at the airport and through out the city. But bring some cash in case you get there & the machine is not working or something.

Back