High numbers of card withdrawl frauds in BA at the moment.

steveinbsas said:
What makes it stupid?

That (using the word stupid) is so easy to say (and so hard to take back): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LucTPdK8VTc

In they way that my card is used very rarely and they know i use the same cash machine roughly the same times each month.

The fact that they refuse to lift the ban on my card, leaving a customer of 20 odd years in the shit without reasonable access to my own cash.
The ignorance to the way other countries around the world work.
The fact that any tourist who also has a "Clydesdale Bank" car would also be in the shit without access to their cash.

This is what makes it stupid.

Obama was also right. The cops in that situation were stupid.

scotttswan said:
@Johnny From what i've found out it is only Clydesdale Bank cards that are the problem.

The bank stupidly took it upon themselves to block all cards from cash machines.
Apparently Point of Sale transactions are not blocked, but my bank do not seem to realise things like cashback and getting cash from the teller do not exist here no matter how much i protest.
I have taken it up with complaints and they have agreed to pay all extra costs incurred by using alternatives until they "lift" the ban.

I have "loaded" my visa credit card with some cash and am using this in banelco machines just now.

I also have a FairFX card and CaxtonFX card on the way as backups for the future.

As long as the government don't change the laws etc (fingers crossed) i should be ok for the near future.
I use a USAA debit card and have never had a problem with it at Citibank ATMs for over five years in Buenos Aires. I'll try again on Monday and if I have a problem I'll call USAA and see if I can get some clarification.

Well, the timing may be coincidental but I did have my debit card frozen for unidentified "supsicious" activity with POS or withdrawal. Since Citibank declined the transaction and deleted the record (not smart), they couldn't tell me if was here or not or the details. However the fraud woman told me that they are having a high number of problems, especially with ATM transactions, in Argentina at the moment.

I wasn't able to withdraw pesos again today at Citibank, using the Citibank ATM. However I tried the Banelco ATM within the Citibank location and was able to pull pesos, albeit a measly 300p with the 16 and some odd pesos "fee". Go figure.

I just got off the phone with USAA in the states. There is nothing happening on their end with my debit card that would explain the weird goings on. I'd be interested to know if there are any other USAA debit card users here in Argentina that have experienced any problems accessing the ATM machines. It may be some temporary issue, but in Argentina you never know.

I think the moral of the story here is to always have an alternative.

My stupid bank (the clydesdale bank) have lifted the ban but have limited all withdraws to £50.

I shall be moving banks ASAP.

I was able to withdraw $3500 pesos today at the Citibank in Puerto Madero with a BofA card.

did you guys inform your bank that you were moving abroad.I had this problem,they thought someone in Argentina was using my card,as my details are based in the UK.After speaking with the fraud squad and answering a few personal questions,the action was lifted 10 mins after our conversation..

ps Swanny what is a "clydesdale bank" car?new one on me that is......

Well me personally, my bank has known for several years that I live abroad (although every now and again they call me and ask me to confirm why I have transactions in Argentina and is it fraud:rolleyes:)

But direct from the woman at Citi, there is a apparently a problem with ATM skimming here in Argentina at the moment.

While we're at it, I have one of those loadable MCs linked to an E-wallet (payoneer to be exact) : I once managed to withdraw more than 1.000 pesos at once (was 1.400 or 1.500 pesos if I recall).

Question is : in which banks are the most flexible ATMs ? It seems it's Citibank, correct ?
I have a daily limit of 2.500 US$ on it

Back