Hiking machu picchu

RyanHairStylist

Registered
OK So I have a very good friend coming here to visit me in Our spring here.

So we want to go to Machu Picchu.. And to the trail...

So I am wondering does anyone know or have a personal recommendation about who they used?

How much they spent. And all those details.

Please don't let this turn into another ex-pat war on what they hated and all negative Stuff. And how blah blah blah blah.... ( i hope people get the point)
Please try and keep the responses light, positive, and with out all the fighting:)

Web page links, or a company you have used would be great too.
Please serious reply's only.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR HELP AND ALL THE GREAT "POSITIVE" COMMENTS.

Ryan

i done the inca trail a couple of years ago.. end of oct, which was the start of wet season there.. but was ok the weather except last day.. but the trail/hike was great if you like that sort of thing..
we paid US$300 to do it, they carried all the food, tents etc, so we just carried our backpacks with clothes and water/snacks..
What i did find out is there was a big difference in what people paid on our trip.. Some brazilians paid US$125, Arg US$220, me US$300, swedish US$350.. My advice is to book there, and shop around like the brazilians.. We booked online 3 months in advance, because my friend only had 2 weeks off work to do it, but if you are flexible, go there, and check out a few different tour companies, and haggle the price down..

I agree with davonz..definitely book when you get there and ask for discounts as usually they are willing to negotiate.

We did not do the traditional Inca trail we did an alternative trek (Lares) with a company called Qente http://www.qente.com/ We found them to be very friendly and fair with their staff (porters, cooks etc) which is something we really were looking for. Because of this they do tend to charge more (but as I said ask about discounts). We had a wonderful time and loved our time in the highlands around Peru, getting to see Macchu Picchu was the icing on the cake!

You can find super cheap tours but usually they are cheap at the expense of the staff.

Back