Hiring a car with a debit card?

BAHibs

Registered
Has anyone had success in hiring a car with a debit card in Buenos Aires?

I recently reserved a car thinking that my HSBC Gold Mastercard from my France account was a credit card but now checking it has debit written on it. I'd used it many times to hire a car in France and Italy so didn't put too much thought into it but now I presume a debit card is sufficient in those countries.

I've paid the initial rental fee with the card online but a deposit is held against a credit card upon pick up of the car.

I'll contact the rental company asking if there is a way around this (paying the deposit on the debit card, buying extra coverage etc) but I presume I'll get the standard "credit card required" response, so I was wondering if anyone has experience hiring without a credit card?

Unfortunately the Argentines I'm travelling with who have credit cards don't have driving licenses so that wasn't an option.

Thanks.

Last edited:
y
Has anyone had success in hiring a car with a debit card in Buenos Aires?

I recently reserved a car thinking that my HSBC Gold Mastercard from my France account was a credit card but now checking it has debit written on it. I'd used it many times to hire a car in France and Italy so didn't put too much thought into it but now I presume a debit card is sufficient in those countries.

I've paid the initial rental fee with the card online but a deposit is held against a credit card upon pick up of the car.

I'll contact the rental company asking if there is a way around this (paying the deposit on the debit card, buying extra coverage etc) but I presume I'll get the standard "credit card required" response, so I was wondering if anyone has experience hiring without a credit card?

Unfortunately the Argentines I'm travelling with who have credit cards don't have driving licenses so that wasn't an option.

Thanks.

You can rent the car under your drivers license, your friends can use their credit card for the deposit, and you can pay it all in cash. this always works with Hertz.

y

You can rent the car under your drivers license, your friends can use their credit card for the deposit, and you can pay it all in cash. this always works with Hertz.

Ah great to know thanks, adding to the confusion is that in France they do not differenciate the same as in the US/UK regarding debit and credit cards which is maybe why my card worked in France/Italy.

My XP with Hertz rental car a few years ago. Hertz places a hold $$ on the US Mastercard as a guarantee to be reversed upon return of the vehicle without a scratch and full tank. When leaving they check and note any minor dent to the car body, you must initialize the scratches if any. Interior , radio, seats , etc.

I used to rent every week end so sometimes, I had three holds pending, blocking my CC. after numerous calls to headquarters they would reverse the charges. Note Hertz was/is ? a franchise owned by an argentinian group

Try baires rent a car on FitzroyI used them recently for a trip to the coast and found them to be very good.
I’m pretty sure I used a UK debit card for the whole thing.
You can pay for the rental in cash so can take advantage of the blue rate.
They will charge you a deposit of 50,000 ARS or 100,000ARS depending on which daily charge you go for.
Deposit refunded on the return of the car or any damages deducted.

I scratched the hell out of the back wheel arch on mine and they just changed me for the repair which was 12,000ARS which I found pretty reasonable - also settled in cash.

My XP with Hertz rental car a few years ago. Hertz places a hold $$ on the US Mastercard as a guarantee to be reversed upon return of the vehicle without a scratch and full tank. When leaving they check and note any minor dent to the car body, you must initialize the scratches if any. Interior , radio, seats , etc.

I used to rent every week end so sometimes, I had three holds pending, blocking my CC. after numerous calls to headquarters they would reverse the charges. Note Hertz was/is ? a franchise owned by an argentinian group
The best piece of advice I could provide would be this: In addition to the cost of the rental, EXPECT some kind of an amount authorized to the card used as well. This is a hold against funds or credit limit for said card. The rental car company wants to know if you have secondary charges, such as extra mileage, the car coming back with less than a full tank of fuel etc... or there is any damage, they can settle against the authorize to be paid on demand. If you are able, USE A CREDIT CARD (Not debit) with a low overall limit and use it only for the rental because a hold on your buying power could be restrictive as you live your life. This will protect you against an overzealous, disagreeable charge in the end. Credit cards have protections debit cards do not in matters of discrepancy. Also, be sure to do a thorough pre acceptance walk around when signing for the car as well as doing the same upon return, AND MAKE SURE when the car is returned, they sign off on the car having nothing wrong with it. You don't want to be blamed for something AFTER the fact.

Back