Holiday tip to Portero

surfing

Registered
I'm just asking because I have gotten wildly differing answers about "the norm". How much (if anything) are you giving your porter for the holidays?

In my honest opinion, if you are renting a temporary apartment, I don't think you need to tip anything... If anything, the owner needs to tip the portero.

It would be different for renting a 2 year apartment. And even then, they make so much money without paying rent that there is no need to go overboard with it.

My mother in-law told us to give ours around 250 pesos and she bought some Christmas treats for us to give him. Probably depends on the type of building and portero etc. We don´t have 24hr service. I imagine you would tip more for 24hr porteros/security. I don´t know if you would tip each then if they have rotating shifts or what.

I think you also pay more in the expensas for an end of the year bonus about this time.

HAHA! That's exactly the answer I wanted since I just gave him exactly $250!:)
Thanks!

A bottle of cider (Sidra Real) and a Pan Dulce and you are done.

$300 pesos. He's full time and helps us all the time.

Thanks for the guidance! I've always wondered what was standard for the Holiday Portero Tip.

Are there expectations for other people to tip for the holidays? Cleaning services?

Back