Horrible accident in Flores

Concerning the colectivo drivers, it has already been said that it is a stressfull job. AFAIK their companies collect the fines and then appeal all at once and they expire since no judges are available to treat those cases. Don't know if it is true. And I think they collect several hundred or thousand fines a day in capital federal alone (I have the number 3000 in my head).

Anyway, whenever something happens the media bash the colectivo drivers. Don't forget that there are 10,000 colectivos in the gran buenos aires. When 12 people die in a minibus/combi-crash it gets a lot less attention. Happens a lot though. People drive very mad in BsAs. Colectivo drivers at least are experienced drivers unless many of the rest.

May be, but that doesnt change the fact that Ghost is 100% correct !! As a fellow argentine you should worry about the lack of law and rules instead of whether or not expats take advantage of it

First, I am a legal expat. Second many expats told me that the 'flexibility' of Argentina is what they appreciate most, meaning by that - among other things - not needing to stick to the rules.

Double moral is something many expats here seem to be experts at.

Amargo said:
First, I am a legal expat. Second many expats told me that the 'flexibility' of Argentina is what they appreciate most, meaning by that - among other things - not needing to stick to the rules.

Double moral is something many expats here seem to be experts at.

In that case i stand corrected, my comments applied only if you were Argentinian ! As a local, i dont mind whether expats take advantage of this chaos or whether or not they have double moral about it, my concern is strictly that my country is a mess rules-wise :S

It was a sad accident with 11 dead, but you are not more dead when you are killed together with others, than when you die alone, in or hit by, a car.

On average, 23 argentinos were killed the same day in car accidents (8,500/year). Same number the next day and the day before, same as every other day in the year.

As you must know, the machine to do the "soterramiento" (the tunnel) already arrived to Argentina and started to work at the pace of 20 meters per day. So in 2 1/2 years could finish at least until Ramos Mejia. We will see.

Rules are rules and while they may be subject to interpretation, I find that what lacks here especially in terms of safety is a usage of common sense. For example, whether or not there is a rule or law against driving drunk people still do it anyway even though they know good and well how dangerous it is. The same goes for speeding, going through railroad crossings WHEN THERE ARE CLEAR SIGNALS THAT THERE MAY BE A TRAIN COMING, driving erratically changing lanes every minute in a densely populated city street, not slowing down for 1 second to let someone out of a parking spot, or cross the street EVEN WHEN they have the right of way. It's amazing, but a little common sense on the part of the operators of vehicles would eliminate 90% of these traffic accidents.

Last November a neighbour of ours was killed by a train whilst driving across a rail crossing in her car. She was a lovely neighbour and friend.
This crossing at La Bota, Benavidez is a f***ng joke.
No barriers. Lights that don't work and just a security man waving a flag when he visually sees the train coming, which many people ignore. He was apparently chatting with his gf when the train passed through.
What have TBA done since then? Nada, zilch,zero.

Back