Housing near Lincoln School?

There are two types of rentals in Argentina. There are the temporary, furnished apartments, which are short term. And then there are the normal, two year contract to rent an unfurnished house or apartment. To get a 2 year contact, you will have to be able to get a garantia, which is basically a person who agrees, in contract, to pay the rent if you for some reason are unable to. That person has to own property, and at least in Capital, they need to have the same last name as you. But the specifics of the garantia will depend on the agency you rent the apartment from.

Since you mentioned that the company will be helping you move, the best thing you could do is try to see if they will rent a property for you.

Belgrano is very safe and there are a lot of families that live there. Personally, I find it to be much safer then Recoleta. In the suburbs, Vicente Lopez, Olivos, La Lucila, and Martinez are all fairly safe. There are more house than buildings and the areas are some of the wealthiest near the city.

Any of the neighborhoods surrounding Lincoln are OK because the school runs a private bus for students. I don't recall the price but it better than a remise everyday. Many of the expat kids at Lincoln live in Martinez and there are plenty of cafes and shopping and restos nearby.

buddha said:
I live in Palermo and my kids go to Lincoln. Most of the areas by the school are very nice but similar to suburbs in the states. It takes my kids about 30 minutes by bus to and from school. Also, could you happen to be from MN? If so send me a message as I am too.

Hi Buddha - Yes, I'm from MN. I've tried to PM you but can't seem to figure out how to do it. I'm new to this. I did reply to this message last night by hitting "quick reply," but I don't see it posted here this morning. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...but if you can figure out how to PM me, please feel free to do so, as I'd love to hear from a fellow Minnesotan!

It says you are not set up to receive pm's at this time as I tried and it didn't work. Email me at
[email protected]

This is my dummy account and then I will give you my current address so we can chat. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I'm sure if you go to edit options that you can set yourself up to PM.

Belgrano is still going to be quite a hike to Lincoln. There are school buses that will pick up/drop off your child, however, the further away you live, the longer they'll be on the bus, sitting in traffic. We have friends with 2 at Lincoln, they live in the city (Las Canitas) and the children are on the bus for over an hour each way.
In addition, think of after school activities and other functions that you will want to attend. It's a lot of driving, which is why a lot of Lincoln families live in the suburbs.
We've heard nothing but good things about Lincoln, it has a great reputation and it follows the North American school schedule, rather than the schedule down here.

I lived in Martinez for 6 months, within walking distance of the Lincoln School, and I loved it! The houses are lovely and the area is so nice, but it is much more like a U.S. suburb than the city, although distinct in its own way. The vast majority of the houses/yards are gated so your kids would be fine playing in the yard, just don't expect any neighborhood kickball games as playing on the streets or outside the gated yard is not normal. Let me know if you have any more questions about living in that specific area, you can always shoot me a PM!

You really have to decide if you want a city or suburban life. There are nice neighborhoods in both and you can bus your kids to Lincoln or drive/ have driven.

If you're attracted to BA for the cultural events, restaurants and city life there are several areas within the city where you can live a good family life and enjoy all the amenities BA offers. Belgrano R has some amazing houses, many Gorgeous French mansions with cafes and restaurants nearby and easy access to the rest of the city. Barrio Parque is also worth a look, it's mostly comprised of beautiful high end houses. It's part of Palermo yet set back and feels much less urban than the rest of it. There are also some very nice houses in Palermo Soho, especially off Armenia but they tend to be smaller. All of these areas have relatively good security. You can get back yards with pools and room to run in those areas.

In Reoleta, Barrio Norte and along Libertador you can find large old apartments with 4 and 5 bedrooms, over 3500 sq. Ft. which can also be comfortable family living. With a big company budget, I'd check out these places for more urban living.

Or you can go suburban and live in San Isidro, Nordelta, etc. Large houses, country clubs, as others said, much like US suburbs.

We tried both and for us one of the city choices win. We missed the easy access to events and restaurants and the energy of the city.

Hola!
Just so happens we are considering renting our 5 bedroom/6 bedroom house which is near
Lincoln School. If you PM me I will send you photos.

Hi MN Mom... We are Americans with elementary school age kids living in Belgrano R. If you have any questions feel free and email me at [email protected]. Good luck!

Back